Ground anchors @ Kirton

JST

So what did you use, did it work/break or not? saw lot of modified (spike style) anchors just wondering if they were any good.

Being an X-Eng Goodwinch team we used one of our sponsors Mk2q anchors with the double tips.

i think alot of our success was down to the light weight of Nicks truck (although Mitsimog is the other end of the scale) and the ability of the anchor to hold with little purchase, at some points it only needed to dig in 3" or so. although on Wills punch (23) it dug in so well we had to winch it back out

it struggled in the slag/spoil heaps which were loose but i only had to reset the anchor twice all day through it pulling through completely.

another benefit was it so light you can use it as a climbing aid when going up the hills!!!

We took two, a plough and a Mk1 X Eng. The plough did not function at all, the X Eng was better but still took a bit of getting in at times. Certainly made Ian puff keep moving it around trying to find some purchase.

Treelads bent theirs to bits

We used a Tonk built Pul pal variant

it worked until it hit a rock bent the tip and let go as I was beyond the point on no return heading towards solid rock on a 50degree slope.

certainly woke me up.

We had to leave punches where the Anchor was not deemed to be a safe bet,

As teaming up to gain punches is against the rules we just left the ones we deemed were unsafe for us to attempt.

yeah we found the mk1 x-anchor the best, still had trouble sometimes as it just wanted to pull through, seemed good behind rocks, boulders and concrete though, we did however manage to bend the tips of it though.

Ian

We used a D44 cut down by a foot and with a spike on, when we used on the 1st punch we did, which was the one on the left on the uphill approach to the camping area,

we used it to get through the virgin glue/mud and up to the top of the bank to get the punch,

Then on the way back down it let go and I ran backwards like a rat up a drain pipe pursued by this yellow chunk of steel with a spike on and hit the glue hard and at the wrong angle, and then spent an eternity getting out of it, thanks again to the lads in the white 90 for your help.

The only thing thats digs in at Kirton has caterpillar tracks on it.

Did anybody see a rabbit ?????

Boothy

We had both a mk1 X-anchor and pair of pins. First off I tried the pins and they were useless - initially they seemed to work but the ground was just too crumbly. I then moved onto the X-anchor which I was very impressed with - the tips did bend (and required some 'adjustments' throughout the day to keep it performing) but, overall, I was impressed. Most of the time it did do the job although there was some ploughing done on several of the punches. Punch 23 was the only one where it really caused issues. It simply would not hold. Eventually I went a long way back to a patch of mud and that did the trick. The best thing about the X-anchor is the weight; it really is so easy to use!

On the way home I was thinking about ways of improving the performance. I think I've got an idea but I want to try it first.

well we struggled 2 actually get the anchor 2 dig in the ground and on the first punch it did dig in it broke. dunno what make it was but we will certainly be investing in a good one. has anybody got any recommendations? preferably light smallish and strong?