grinding nose out of ideas

titan

well when i got the 300tdi disco the clutch was IMO quite hi compared to the wolfs at work and there was a bit of prop grind from the fact it had different size tires front and rear well changed that now there is a grinding nose when i have the clutch right down was told by a few people it was the thrust bearing/release arm, so yesterday myself and pinny did our first clutch change on a disco once everything was undone we removed the old clutch to find it was fine except for a bit around the inside edge that appered to be chewed up (about 1-2 mm ). well while removing that and the release arm somthing fell out when found it was bits of copper and some rivet ends that had be floating around in the bellhouseing but not from the removed clutch. well everything that was remove was fine and all new went back on after a good clean out (to get all the bits out the bell housing) and put back together hoping the grinding nose would stop.

gave it a run out today and at first all seemed well the gears are changing easyer but after about 4 miles i pulled in for fuel and when the clutch was fully pressed the grinding nose returned (not a hard grind it like the fly wheel is just touching the housing ) relase the clutch and re press and it gose it also dose it when you stop at lights etc but not all the time normaly fine a double clutch sorts it

any ideas???

Did you take the flywheel off when you did the clutch? Probably not as there would be no need.

It may be that your crankshaft thrust bearings are worn and the back of the flywheel is kissing the block when the clutch is pressed.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
Did you take the flywheel off when you did the clutch? Probably not as there would be no need.

It may be that your crankshaft thrust bearings are worn and the back of the flywheel is kissing the block when the clutch is pressed.

Steve

just an update to this

ended up takeing my disco down to RST on mersea a week or so ago, after a quick test drive the bloke came over and told me the problem wasnt the clutch at all ( hahaha £100 later) but was one of two possible causes

1) the gear box bearing but this is the least likely because it isnt doing it all the time

2) is a small bush that sits in the flywheel the the shaft sits in when engaged in the clutch

well i took the secound part home with me as this was the lesser of the two evils

well another day stripping out the gear box, clutch and getting to where we needed to be to discover that there wasnt even one in there let alone a sezzed one well new part in and the disco is running like a dream

there is nothing in any off the manuals or the tech thread on here and other websites about this part so i take it its not cimmon knowlage?? any way i was told its always a good idea to replace this part with the clutch

luckly no other damage to my disco

:D

it's called the spigot bearing,

mine disintegrated a few months ago, part of it jammed the clutch & eventually [on the way to work] ripped the centre out of the friction plate, so a complete new clutch & spigot bearing sorted it, always worth a check/replacement at clutch change time.

it's called the spigot bearing,

mine disintegrated a few months ago, part of it jammed the clutch & eventually [on the way to work] ripped the centre out of the friction plate, so a complete new clutch & spigot bearing sorted it, always worth a check/replacement at clutch change time.

thats the one i forgot the name, it pos mine disintegrated as we found shareds when we did the first clutch change