Steering wheel/horn contact lubrication

Boro

Im about to replace the steering wheel on my disco and was wondering whether the grease used to lubricate the horn ring on the back of the wheel is anything special or just regular hi melting point grease? having used normal multi purpose grease in the past to have it leak out on a hot summers day i wont be making that mistake again

Im talking about the contact ring on the wheel which is shroud side and makes the electrical connection between car and wheel, if its not lubricated it will cause a noise and annoy me (not to mention wearing away faster) this is what i want to lubricate

Errr, on posh Disco II's maybe - but on steam driven versions its 2 prongs and a round bit! (no posh wheel mounted controls other then a one wire in and one wire out horn switch................)

I've had the wheel off mine loads ('96 300TDi XS) and all I ever do is spread the exisiting stuff around a bit as I've not got anything as gloopy as that so I'll just end up with it dripping out like you've already experienced! There must be a suitable product out there, but I cant think of any off hand other than XG279 - MoD general purpose grease which is really smelly and evil but would stick forever..........

Mine doesnt have one of those as its non airbag and no controls (other than the horn) are on the steering wheel, just the brass ring on the steering wheel and the contact on the column, anyway wheel swapped now easiest job i have done :) i used a bit of hi melting point multi purpose grease in the end, still a bit of noise from the brush/ring but we shall see what its like when on the road again