Disco 2 Front arms vs Conventional arms

zim

Morning,

I was thinking of giving disco 2 front arms a try on my hybrid. But unfortunately i don't have access to one to go and measure up, so can anyone tell me the overall length.

And what shape is the axle end ? Will the arms fit onto a 90 axle, or ???

Anyone got a picture of how they mount onto a disco chassis ?

Sorry for the vague post.... :D

Cheers

Gordon

Morning,

I was thinking of giving disco 2 front arms a try on my hybrid. But unfortunately i don't have access to one to go and measure up, so can anyone tell me the overall length.

And what shape is the axle end ? Will the arms fit onto a 90 axle, or ???

Anyone got a picture of how they mount onto a disco chassis ?

Sorry for the vague post.... :D

Cheers

Gordon

Hi im doing this conversion on my build at moment . length from centre of rear hole in centre of bush to centre of front bush is 39.5 inches. Have added some pictures of mine which is a rangie chasis .My mounts do cover where the normal gearbox mounting bolt holes are though .Hope this helps newtruck001.jpg

newtruck002.jpg

newtruck003.jpg

newtruck004.jpg

newtruck005.jpg

newtruck006.jpg

newtruck008.jpg

Hi,

Nice job.

What is the bush on the chassis end? It lloks like a spherical bush but is it made of rubber and fixed or does it move?

The reason I ask is that if it is a fixed rubber type bush how does it move up and down. Presumably the steel center tube is pinched between the chassis and the side plate otherwise the bolt would wear out. If it is solid rubber then surely the movement is restricted or the bush will start to tear?

I was offered a set of chassis bits with the Disco 2 mountings on at Sodbury (Newbury)four bits at £80 the lot, I decided not to buy them!

Cheers,

Marc.

Hi,

Nice job.

What is the bush on the chassis end? It lloks like a spherical bush but is it made of rubber and fixed or does it move?

The reason I ask is that if it is a fixed rubber type bush how does it move up and down. Presumably the steel center tube is pinched between the chassis and the side plate otherwise the bolt would wear out. If it is solid rubber then surely the movement is restricted or the bush will start to tear?

I was offered a set of chassis bits with the Disco 2 mountings on at Sodbury (Newbury)four bits at £80 the lot, I decided not to buy them!

Cheers,

Marc.

Hi the bush is made of rubber and it is fixed but is very flexable ,i clamped the bush in a vice as tight as i could and marked its position in relation to the vice .I then measured its movement up and down and it flexed 24 inches up and 24 inches down from horizontal before it started to twist in the vice if i could have clamped it tighter im sure it would have flexed some more . I originally thought the same ,that it would be to rigid and was going to see if poly bushes were available to allow more flex , but for now i think i will stick with the original bushes and see how it goes . Aparrently some of the safari racers are now useing these arms on there racers .

cheers

Richard

Hi the bush is made of rubber and it is fixed but is very flexable ,i clamped the bush in a vice as tight as i could and marked its position in relation to the vice .I then measured its movement up and down and it flexed 24 inches up and 24 inches down from horizontal before it started to twist in the vice if i could have clamped it tighter im sure it would have flexed some more . I originally thought the same ,that it would be to rigid and was going to see if poly bushes were available to allow more flex , but for now i think i will stick with the original bushes and see how it goes . Aparrently some of the safari racers are now useing these arms on there racers .

cheers

Richard

I converted a set of old arms to take these bushes and after 2 years and probably 8-10 events, they are still in perfect condition. As far as I'm concerned, they're evirtually fit and forget, unlike the axle end bushes which need replacing every couple of events. Highly recommended!

Toby

cheers

Richard

Preumably you need to set the "at rest" position to ensure that the travel is centered evenly?

I guess you would get the vehicle to a normal weight when parked then loosen the bolt to release the tension on the bush then re-tighten the bolt to fix the position?

Marc.

I converted a set of old arms to take these bushes and after 2 years and probably 8-10 events, they are still in perfect condition. As far as I'm concerned, they're evirtually fit and forget, unlike the axle end bushes which need replacing every couple of events. Highly recommended!

Toby

Hopefully by fitting the complete arms the axle end bushes being bigger i might not have to change them so often

thanks for the good reply :), sorry for my delay i'm at work :(

i may have issues, as i have an 88" chassis with gigglepin rear arms already.... but i'll see how i can fab the brackets maybe ;)

from your 5th picture, it looks like the brackets on the axel have to be cut off and redone ??

Gordon