Messing around with a SuperWinch EP9

SacredDog

I'm in the process of fitting my trusty old EP9 to my 130 Landy since it has been removed from our Classic.

I'm basically fitting a Winch Tray to the top of a beefed up standard bumper and want to keep it as tight into the body (so it dosen't protrude too much and make my 130 much longer than it already is).

With the help of this Forum I have managed to rotate the Gearbox end so the Freespool Lever sticks out more towards the front than the top and the Motor end so the terminals are on the back & front. Both so that I can still fit my Bull Bar on top (which should be called a Horse Bar, as it's there to protect the Landy from Horses trying to sit on the Bonnet and putting hooves through Lights & Radiators in the process, as ours tend to do).

Anyway, that's enough waffling. I was wondering if it is possible to swap the EP9 around so the Motor is on the right & the Gearbox on the Left? (as you look at it standing in front of the Landy)

My thinking being, I would prefer to be standing away from the rope when I operate the Freespool with my right hand (which is what I naturally tend to do) and it would also mean the High Current cables are on the same side as the Battery on a Defender (I will be fitting the Solenoid high up under the bonnet somewhere).

My concern is that the Brake may not work properly with the Motor effectively running backwards, does anyone know if this would be a problem?

Colin.

The brake will only work in one direction - so no you cant.

However, it you turn the winch around and move the fairlead / hawse such that the cable is spooled on to the top of the drum rather than the bottom then the drum can still turn the correct way and the winch be reversed.

Si

The brake will only work in one direction - so no you cant.

However, it you turn the winch around and move the fairlead / hawse such that the cable is spooled on to the top of the drum rather than the bottom then the drum can still turn the correct way and the winch be reversed.

Si

Thanks Si,

I thought that would be the case, unfortunately I cant mount the Hawse high enough with the arrangement I am planning (basically a Winch tray on top of a strengthened standard bumper 'bikini' style.

I will just have to make do with it the right way around and run a longer power lead than I was hoping.

Cheers,

Colin.