Wire rope for Tirfor

Stretchie_

I have the opportunity to buy a Tirfor handwinch, the biggun 3200kg.

BUT I need to buy a rope for it. Anyone know where I can get one? 20m or 30m but be great.

I have googled but all I find is either brand new winches, places that say wire available but no listing for them or tool/equipment hire places.

I have searched for 16.3mm wire rope but everything I find says "not suitable for Tirfor"

Can anyone help?

Tirfors require a special rope and they are chuffin expensive!

Good luck in finding a replacement rope

AD90

Oh, and take it from me 10m of 16mm rope is enough to handle and you'll be ready to drop if you winch a landy 10m with a Tirfor!

• Like 1

Cheers guys...

Yeah. I'm pretty much a tool. I looked on that site earlier but somehow couldn't find them.. DUH!!!

Spoke to someone else and found they are quite expensive. One fella asked why I was looking at the biggun if I only have a Disco.

He recons the 1600kg one would pull the Disco easily (the weight rating is for lifting so you can increase that for pulling, he rates the 1600kg will pull 2500kg)

It's just that for (I think it was..) £100 I could get a second hand 3200kg one from a trusted person but it has no rope. But you never know with second hand do you, I don't know if the gears or the grips are all ok on the inside, and to send it off for testing means about £80+ just for the labour to check it out..

For £200 I could get a brand new Tirfor copy rated at 1600kg WITH 20m of rope.

Oh yeah, 30m, WHAT WAS I THINKING?? 10m is long, 20m is more than I need.

So what do you guys think? Brand new but lower rated OR the second hand biggun and rope for the same price?

Tirfors require a special rope and they are chuffin expensive!

Good luck in finding a replacement rope

AD90

Oh, and take it from me 10m of 16mm rope is enough to handle and you'll be ready to drop if you winch a landy 10m with a Tirfor!

OH I KNOW. I did it the other week, it was my first introduction to the hand winch, and I hardly did any of the work ha haa

Where you at Stretchie . Got a 10mm wire that Ive recently taken of

a winch . You are welcome to it if you can come and get it .

Cheers mate, just near Bristol but thanks for the offer pal, much appreciated

ig get a second hand one in good nick, or just try and get a newish cable-for some reason people break winches and sell the cables for peanuts.try newbury, billing etc-or ebay.

we picked one up for work and the cable and never been of the reel! 3 or 5 ton for 100quid!

get some tree ties to tie the cable up with-and paint your handle bright orange else they dissapear in mud.

i still reckon you havent lived till youve winched over a tree-now thats fun. just proves how good they are!

dont get a cheap repalcement as the jaws break in them.

Thanks for all the replies.

I got it completley wrong, it was a 1600kg Tirfor with rope, and I picked it up today. I'm out tomorrow so I am going to kindly request that someone (other than me) get stuck so I can come to their rescue and try it out.

Yesterday I had a problem, pulled up at her indoors' sisters to hear a noise like running water, turns out it was diesel pouring out of the engine bay

:shock:

Couldn't have happened at a better place, her brother in law works on and pretty much knows everything about Land Rovers (but he doesn't like diesels). Anyway, he had a look and founf that the fuel lift pump was shot, when I turned the engine over fuel was shooting out of the lower union. He recons that things like this start off with a trickle then degrade to a point where they judt give way. Could explain me getting 100miles less on the last tank, I just thought it might be something to do with being off road, all that stopping and starting and revving..

Anyway, one field fix later and I was on my way home.

Spent £160 today, got the Tirfor, 2x Diff guards, 2x recovery points which include jacking points a sepentine belt and a replacment lift pump (which unfortunatley turned out to be duff, but the fella said no problem and he'll give us the cash back for it). Good day all in all I think

For £200 I could get a brand new Tirfor copy rated at 1600kg WITH 20m of rope.

That's what I did, one of the T-Max ones from Bearmach and I seem to remember it was actually quite a bit less than £200 ... not used it much but that was why I didn't buy a Tirfor for three or four times the price to sit in the garage most of the time.

If you want some practice you can come and drag my Ninety around the yard outside my house. I live in north Bristol, it's on a slope and I can engage the handbrake gently if it's too easy for you ... :D

Hmm, North Bristol eh? Not far away really but NOOOOOO..

Thanks for the offer though ha haaaa. But if you get stuck and need a hand send me a PM.

I've got a hand winch now you know

; )

• 10 years later...

Hi, I have a Tu-32 Tirfor without a cable,  I have 3 questions and would appreciate your assistance on this matter:

1- Do you think any 6x19 core cable 16.3mm thick would do? or do I have to get the tirfor brand cable? 

2- Can I use a 16 mm cable instead of a 16.3 mm cable?

3- Would a Tu-32 tirfor take a 10mm cable for the sake of pulling a small tree ? or do I have to have the 16.3 mm cable?

Thanks

Edited by Quintino
Wrong tirfor type

Answers:

1 - No, Tirfor cables are not ordinary wire rope. Ordinary wire rope is designed to be slightly flexible, a Tirfor cable has to be non compressible. 

2 - Not if you want to pull at or near the rated load of the Tirfor, and definitely not if you are hoisting (as opposed to winching).

3 - I very much doubt it. 

• Thanks 1

Just to confirm the Tirfor rope must be used, it is very specific to the gripping 'jaws' inside the casing, I have never tried to buy one on its own but I can't imagine it woud be a cheap thing. Might be cheaper to source a Tu-16 unit if you don't need all the capability, the 3.2t one is a bit of a lump

• Like 1

In addition to all of the above, some tips.
Keep spare shear pins and punch in the handle.
Coil the cable up in an old back motorcycle tyre. The thing that normally comes to hold the wire is actually a medieval torture device.
Make sure the tirfor will be the right way up when the strain is on. Depending on how the anchor is, you might need an extra shackle to turn it 90º.
Leave the tirfor on the anchor after the pull so you can get the cable out easily.
Use a single piece handle, the two piece ones get tiring and awkward after a while. 
Use a longer handle, as long as the shear pins are present there's no problems, it takes a 50kg pull at over a meter for a 3.2 ton pull, longer is less.
Always leave the rope release lever forwards / engaged, even with no rope in it for storage.
You're meant to clean and oil them!! Gear oil works well. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2020 at 1:53 AM, Jamie_grieve said:

In addition to all of the above, some tips.
Keep spare shear pins and punch in the handle.
Coil the cable up in an old back motorcycle tyre. The thing that normally comes to hold the wire is actually a medieval torture device.
Make sure the tirfor will be the right way up when the strain is on. Depending on how the anchor is, you might need an extra shackle to turn it 90º.
Leave the tirfor on the anchor after the pull so you can get the cable out easily.
Use a single piece handle, the two piece ones get tiring and awkward after a while. 
Use a longer handle, as long as the shear pins are present there's no problems, it takes a 50kg pull at over a meter for a 3.2 ton pull, longer is less.
Always leave the rope release lever forwards / engaged, even with no rope in it for storage.
You're meant to clean and oil them!! Gear oil works well. 

Thank you for the informative responses from All. Jamie you are a star🌠 with this innovative idea of using a motorbike tyre 💯