Buying a defender TD5, help!?

Hi guys, on tuesday i'll be going up to MRM Landrover in grantham to have a look at a defender, then to nene overland, then down to a smaller dealer/private seller in Kent. Are there any bits i should be looking for, such as typical issues for a defender etc and where they are found on the vehicle. I ask because i have little to no experience with mechanics or defenders for that matter and really dont want to be ripped off :( Any little things to look for would be much appreciated!

Seriously, if you are not mechanically minded then find some one who is and take them with you.

There are plenty of expensive gotchas with TD5s, from Cracked cylinder heads to major corrosion on the bulkhead, chassis or doors ect. Oil leaks that get into the ECU or knackered sensors.

There are some really nice and good examples, but there are some dogs. (although if buying from a reputable company as Nene, you shouldnt be ripped off). Worth bearing in mind.

Seriously, if you are not mechanically minded then find some one who is and take them with you.

There are plenty of expensive gotchas with TD5s, from Cracked cylinder heads to major corrosion on the bulkhead, chassis or doors ect. Oil leaks that get into the ECU or knackered sensors.

There are some really nice and good examples, but there are some dogs. (although if buying from a reputable company as Nene, you shouldnt be ripped off). Worth bearing in mind.

Yeah thats the kicker, i know absolutely nobody with any sound mechanical knowledge, let alone with a defender. Unfortauntely neither do my family nor friends, they are all town and city folk you see. I was just hoping for a few giveaways or tell tell signs to look out for. Hmmm nevermind

You would do worse than buying this book as a starter.

It won't cover everything for a TD5 but if I remember right it does give you general things to look for.

You probably won't look at it again after you have bought one..... I don't.

I am sure someone will be along to highlight the TD5 specific issues.

I found in buying mine that reputable dealers have the least risky stock.

Have a look at Roger M Bass at the bottom of the M11. Pricey stock but in good condition (or was when I bought mine!).

Martin

I live in Melton Mowbray and I've been to MRM once. I won't repeat the experience and my 110 CSW came off eBay.

IMHO Nene will be worth a trip but it won't be cheap - quality costs and a traders warranty doesn't come for nothing.

Td5 can be a little tricky.

it's a maze of wires. yes, and with all that electric something is bound to go wrong. however, having said that. i own a Td5 myself and i bought one without the knowledge of knowing what to look out for. she was only 2 yrs old when i bought her, but she had a few problems i didn't know of. nothing major, but just took a long time to find out.

generally, the younger the vehicle, the less problems it's bound to have. having said that, the youngest Td5 are about 3 yrs old.

starting - Td5 will crank on the first turn of the key, after glow plug light off, without having to step on the gas. if it doesn't, either the battery is weak or the starter motor is on it's way out or it could be worse.

checking - once the engine is started, the ABS/TC light should go out. if not the ABS sensors could be faulty or worse, the ABS unit is faulty, very expensive to replace. all the lamps on the dash board should go out assuming you have the park brake down.

mileage - parts start to fail at over 100k km. eg, fuel pump, clutch pump, brake pump, brake vacuum, EGR (just remove and bin it and install a bypass)

driving - check for 'thock', clunk and whines while driving forward, then reversing and then on highway. check if the hi lo diff lock selector engages easily. to shift that, put vehicle in gear 2, grab the level and shift down, if it doesn't go into lo on first try, don't force it. nothing is wrong. just slowly apply a lil pressure to the level and release the clutch slightly. it should go in. try driving in lo range as well. check the diff lock by pushing it to the left, the diff lock icon on the dash should light after driving a lil. drive a little and then unlock the diff. check that after about 10m the light should go off.

the rest of the checks are pretty much the same for any used car or land rover. get the papers for the records and see if it's been serviced properly.

I live in Melton Mowbray and I've been to MRM once. I won't repeat the experience.

What do you mean? Did they not offer a very good service? We are debating the issue of cutting it out all together as we live in Essex about 5 miles away from RST Landrover (if only it wasn't so expensive and the waiting list so long!) Nene Overland seems to be a bit out of budget but still worth a look.

You would do worse than buying this book as a starter.

It won't cover everything for a TD5 but if I remember right it does give you general things to look for.

You probably won't look at it again after you have bought one..... I don't.

I am sure someone will be along to highlight the TD5 specific issues.

I found in buying mine that reputable dealers have the least risky stock.

Have a look at Roger M Bass at the bottom of the M11. Pricey stock but in good condition (or was when I bought mine!).

Martin

Ah yes we have already attained that guide! I will have a delve into the pages later. We rung up about a grey Defender at Roger Bass but it was already sold, may have a trip through there as well come to mention it as it seems by the time they have the landy on the site it will have already sold, maybe we'll get lucky!

Looking at the Nene prices I wonder if it would work out cheaper to have a new one and a little cheap finance? If you are self employed and VAT registered it's even better.

Either way a couple of grand a year on finance and a new vehicle with warranty would seem more attractive than a similar amount in repairs per year on a TD5, and it may well be more if you can't do the work yourself.

Looking at the Nene prices I wonder if it would work out cheaper to have a new one and a little cheap finance? If you are self employed and VAT registered it's even better.

Either way a couple of grand a year on finance and a new vehicle with warranty would seem more attractive than a similar amount in repairs per year on a TD5, and it may well be more if you can't do the work yourself.

mmm yeah i did think about that but then i read an article in top gear and then another in what car and on auto trader. If i was to get a car on finance i could end up paying up to an excess of £5000 because of the current market state. I dont really want to take that risk, i mean like i said we do have RST just down the road and i'm sure when we get it we can get them to give it a real look over.. And we'll only be buying a 90 with a guarantee. Guess i'll just have to try and get lucky!