My New Truck

Hi everyone,

Another newbie here to pick you brains. Saying I'm a newbie, I have worked on LRs in various guises for several years for mates etc, but now I have one of my own.

Here's a picture of my new truck:

aa42_1.jpg

B)

I paid over the odds (I think), in a bout of eBay madness... :rolleyes: I guess the paint-job went a long way to sell it, along with the new roof rack and spots :)

I have just got right in amongst the thing and found a few horrors I didn't find when I first looked, but also some nice surprises too. New gearbox and transfer box, new water pump, new master cylinder, new front cross-member.

Most of underneath looks good. The bulkhead in the drivers footwell is looking a bit shabby and will need cutting out and plating (any advise welcomed - missed that on first inspection - DOH! :( ). There are few spots of electrolisis here and there, but they will be rubbed, scrubbed and sealed. The rear 3rd top cross member has been repaired and plated and could probably do with replacing (again any advice welcomed).

I have removed the wheel from the bonnet and will remove the bolts and cover the holes with chequer plate - watch out in the want ads! :D

Really looking forward to many years of tinkering and fetling. Maybe a Disco conversion in the future ( I assume there's plenty of material on here about that..? 300 vs 200...? :huh: )

Thanks for looking, see ya in da mud soon!

Cheers for now,

CJ

Thanks for all the welcomes!

I am going to run the motor on for a bit - well at least until it breaks!! :P

Really got in amongst it over the weekend, and have ordered 2 footwells from http://www.yrm-metal-solutions.com/

Ronnie Maughan was very helpful, after ordering 1 for the offside, I put a late request in for the near side too and he has combined the postage! Nice chap! :D

Found a few horros and niggles. I am going to have to patch a bit of the bulkhead, not too much of a drama, was thinking about putting in some chequer plate deco!

The windscreen wipers have jst packed in, and the power steering pump is whaling like a banshee. :(

So I reckon I have a few busy weekends ahead.

Oh, did I mention the rear body crossmember needs replacing.... :rolleyes:

With regards the bonnet - didn't know they were in demand, so there's one thing I can sell to recoup some loses!! :D

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Just noticed that your indicator and sidelights are the other way up to mine - I have a 90' on an E plate but the side lights are at the top and the indicators are at the bottom :huh:

Nice truck BTW.

Dave.

sidelights at top is correct, I've seen a few 90/110 with them swapped over, just doesn't look right.

Glad you like the truck.

I have been working hard to try and get it all sorted.

Had the windscreen wiper motor off yesterday and replaced - now have working wipers - bit of a bonus in our climate!

Next step is to fix the fog light. The indicator light works on the dash, but no light at the back. Checked the bulb - all OK, so must be a wiring fault somewhere.

I'll strip down the fitting and check the connections, see what's occurring. B)

New footwells arrived from YRM too - be looking to get them welded in, in the next few weeks.

It's like sitting with your feet in a collander at the moment. Doesn't bother me too, much, but just worried someone might strain something :P

Hi everyone,

Another newbie here to pick you brains. Saying I'm a newbie, I have worked on LRs in various guises for several years for mates etc, but now I have one of my own.

Here's a picture of my new truck:

aa42_1.jpg

B)

I paid over the odds (I think), in a bout of eBay madness... :rolleyes: I guess the paint-job went a long way to sell it, along with the new roof rack and spots :)

I have just got right in amongst the thing and found a few horrors I didn't find when I first looked, but also some nice surprises too. New gearbox and transfer box, new water pump, new master cylinder, new front cross-member.

Most of underneath looks good. The bulkhead in the drivers footwell is looking a bit shabby and will need cutting out and plating (any advise welcomed - missed that on first inspection - DOH! :( ). There are few spots of electrolisis here and there, but they will be rubbed, scrubbed and sealed. The rear 3rd top cross member has been repaired and plated and could probably do with replacing (again any advice welcomed).

I have removed the wheel from the bonnet and will remove the bolts and cover the holes with chequer plate - watch out in the want ads! :D

Really looking forward to many years of tinkering and fetling. Maybe a Disco conversion in the future ( I assume there's plenty of material on here about that..? 300 vs 200...? :huh: )

Thanks for looking, see ya in da mud soon!

Cheers for now,

CJ

lol,i don`t care how old they are defender s still look good,just brough an E reg 90 all i done is updated the indicators to clear lense with orange bulbs bit of t cut looks very nice now,as for the foot well u can get a replacement foot well for £20 and eather weld or pop rivet it in place,

lol,i don`t care how old they are defender s still look good,just brough an E reg 90 all i done is updated the indicators to clear lense with orange bulbs bit of t cut looks very nice now,as for the foot well u can get a replacement foot well for £20 and eather weld or pop rivet it in place,

very nice please dont be afraid to get it dirty like some owners you know who you are