B Hoop Cross-Bracing

Bowie69

As above, I'm putting the B hoop into my Range and thinking about accesss to the back seats, after trialling a few people for size/fit I am pretty sure that the hoop can stay in place with enough room to slide in/out, and the hoop is sufficientlly out of the way so head injuries wouldn't be an issue in the even of a head on accident.(Padding will probably happen anyways)

The problem comes with the middle seat (yes, all 3 seats are likely to be in use at times) which if the cross bracing is in place means they have to have the knees of a midget, and in an accident would very likely end up with two broken legs -something I am pretty keen to avoid!

So the idea came about... what about removable cross-bracing? Would this be strong enough? I have read the MSA/ARC manuals a few times and they state that preferred methods of making removable parts of a cage should not be used in the main hoops -clearly if the hoop is one continuous piece of mandrel bent tube there won't be any joints, but would this extend to the cross bracing?

The saddle method looks like I could make it work fairly easily, the sliding collar type (whatever it's *really* called) would leave protrusions from the hoop which would be unsightly and likely to cause injury, so I don't think that's an option TBH, but would either be strong enough? so... I could do with some input from you guys on it, pretty please? :)

Forgot to say, this is using a P&P B hoop, which mounts to the chassis where the sloping floor in front of the seat meets the level part of the floor. There are no chassis outriggers involved, just regular stools up off the chassis.

if the above is not an option then I'll just have to remove the whole hoop, it would be a shame as the idea would be to have the hoop in place at all times, if going on holiday I could just remove the bracing and strap it to the roof or stick it on the trailer tent and re-fit once arrived -much easier than trying to take the whole hoop with you!

All options considered, thanks in advance :)

The safety devices FIA homologated cage for the Range Rover Classic had a removable diagonal bar as you describe. It was bolted in at both ends but I don't remember exactly how.

Ask Dan at P&P, he'll be able to make it to meet MSA regs while being removable for when you're not competing.

If rear stays are allowed to be removable I cannot see why the cross bracing in a B hoop can't be either. Both are vitally important to the integrity of the roll cage.

I would go for saddles from P&P.

Can I ask what form of competition this is for?

The reason I ask is that a vehicle used in a competition that could potentially crush the roof does not normally double up as a family car. I'm thinking along the lines that a roll over on road could also cause similar damage and you would want to protect your passengers rather than removing that protection.

Bottom line.... what about an external cage.

Steve

Sorry for the late reply, I've been rather busy with visiting family over the weekend...

If rear stays are allowed to be removable I cannot see why the cross bracing in a B hoop can't be either. Both are vitally important to the integrity of the roll cage.

I would go for saddles from P&P.

Cheers Bish, this was my thinking as well TBH, including the saddles from P&P as an option, I'll probably go down this route... Where the tube meets the chassis saddle it will probably need to be a couple of inches up from the plate, so I'll put a small tube gusset the other side, forming a very small 'X', but with no space under it -pretty sure this will be strong enough.

The reason I ask is that a vehicle used in a competition that could potentially crush the roof does not normally double up as a family car. I'm thinking along the lines that a roll over on road could also cause similar damage and you would want to protect your passengers rather than removing that protection.

Bottom line.... what about an external cage.

Thanks Steve, yep, I know it's not normal, but then I rarely am ;) My daily drive is actually an Audi Coupe Quattro 20V which I have had for a very long time, and don't intend on changing it as it's doing everything I want, and more, however it doesn't have a tow hitch, and there is not a company I have come across that manufactures one for it either -plus I want to keep it as original as possible. By comparison, the Range is a great tow vehicle, and only 4 bolts to remove the whole hitch, even the electrics unplug... not to mention the boot space increase! So for 90% of the time the bracing can stay in place, just when disappearing with a trailer tent for a week or two, or to an off-road holiday with the family then I can whip them out and carry them in comfort, if going off-road once there I can easily reinstall them in about 10 minutes.

As for the type of competition, its likely to be a bit of an evolution from DRD, play days, DDC and so on, initially nothing you could call 'extreme' but these things tend to snowball a bit....

External cage.... well I already have the A & B hoops, so kind of committed :)

Cheers for the reponses, helpful as ever :)

Bowie.