disco alarm module

python

hi, anyone know where the control box might be on a disco 300tdi. 96. i took the center dash to bits expecting it to be there but nope.any ideas where else they could be put.? also looked behind the glovebox. kick panels. and under the center console. cheers

I think the black box is the spider unit for the immobiliser.

Is yours an Auto?

The green box I showed is the alarm ECU which on an Auto also does the job of the black box (there is no Black box in the dash.) Replacing the Green box is more complicated than just swapping it as you will need to get your remotes programmed to it.

Pete.

hi. no, mine is a manual. a 300 on a m plate. was supposed to have an air bag but its missing, was told it had a,b,s too but nope. stupid e,bay. ill go and get the green box mate, i have the key fob for the green box. thanks for taking the time to help mate. :D

hi. no, mine is a manual. a 300 on a m plate. was supposed to have an air bag but its missing, was told it had a,b,s too but nope. stupid e,bay. ill go and get the green box mate, i have the key fob for the green box. thanks for taking the time to help mate. :D

Your existing keyfob will not work with the replacement alarm ecu the transmission data will be wrong. You keyfob/s will need to be programmed to the replacement ecu, so speak to Remote Key they will require the ecu ID No. along with your fob to programme it.

http://www.remotekey.co.uk/

hi, i have a black alarm module. not the green one, thanks for the link btw. :) now, i have the key fob and module, green one. both from the same car. i looked over the wires and they seem to be the same colours. can i just snip the wires and swap over the plugs and use the green module.? thanks guys.

I love the way folk go running for the ww.remotekey.com link as soon as alarm codes get mentioned - Just use the dealer! I got a new fob, it programmed and my old one re-programmed at the main dealer for less then the price quoted by remotekey - it was done on the spot, no waiting for the postman to arrive and used only genuine parts - why the hell would I want to go to remote key?

As for chopping the plugs over - if the wires are the exact same colour codes then yeah, but I'd be going further and checking the teminations on the board inside - they may be wired completely differently inside..........

hmmm, thats a good veiw. never thought about the board inside. how much did it cost for them to re programme your fob mate? might just do that. i have three two button fobs here. didnt get one with the disco. also i see that there is two orange and black wires have been cut going into the alarm module. oh oh. i see problems ahead. cheers mate.

Cost me just over 55 quid all in - couple of years back now mind, so prices will have changed by now, but it was worth it to me as I wanted it done on the spot and with a gen parts fob..........

Mmm, cut wires - thats a sure sign of dramas ahead! I'd say if there are 2 of them then it must be locks or sensors related - maybe some one has snipped the wires to the motion sensors, say, rather than just dropping the headlining and disconnecting them? Without a wiring diagram in front of me I could say for certain what those particualr wires do.........

hmmm, thats a good veiw. never thought about the board inside. how much did it cost for them to re programme your fob mate? might just do that. i have three two button fobs here. didnt get one with the disco. also i see that there is two orange and black wires have been cut going into the alarm module. oh oh. i see problems ahead. cheers mate.

The alarm ecu pic you posted is the early ecu using a single button fob, I understand from the forum that these can be reprogrammed by the owner. The info has been posted before on how to do it. The Green version with the button fob is not DIY.

Also the manufacturing date on your black ecu is 1993 (35/93) and your disco is a 1996, strange.

I love the way folk go running for the ww.remotekey.com link as soon as alarm codes get mentioned - Just use the dealer! I got a new fob, it programmed and my old one re-programmed at the main dealer for less then the price quoted by remotekey - it was done on the spot, no waiting for the postman to arrive and used only genuine parts - why the hell would I want to go to remote key?

As for chopping the plugs over - if the wires are the exact same colour codes then yeah, but I'd be going further and checking the teminations on the board inside - they may be wired completely differently inside..........

Remote Key is the company mentioned in a lot in forums for their services, thats why I mentioned them, I have never had any problems with my alarm so havent had the need for a LR dealer or a company such as Remote Key.

As my nearest LR dealer is a 36 mile round trip and I don't realy have that time for that. I expect I would use Remote Key if there was ever a need. Internet shopping is all the rage now

"why the hell would I want to go to remote key?" I believe you answered your own question " it was done on the spot, no waiting for the postman to arrive and used only genuine parts". My question is, what genuine parts go into programming a fob. ;)

Err, the key-fob itself - remotekeys items are not gen parts...... The question was rhetorical.......

Dont get me wrong, I'm not slagging remotekey, just saying they aren't the be-all-and-end-all and the dealers aren't always as expensive as folk make out - mine is handy enough to get to and they are a decent bunch to deal with so it suits me to use them.......

Each to his own. ;)

I do understand, my first port of call when I had my RRC was always the LR dealer and I purchased lots of items from them including exhaust parts to brake pads, although I did replace the front pads with Mintex but they only lasted a year, so replaced them with genuine parts that lasted me five years.

I still go for genuine parts for the disco with pad/s, seals, serp belt and ignition bits.

hi guys, that box isnt mine but a picture of one from remote keys site. is was just to say what type i have. the two wires that are cut i have found out the are soldered together.??? my central locking doesnt work either so maybe the two are related problems. ill have tho dig into this. i really dont care about the alarm as such but need the central locking as i have a dog gaurd and its a real pain to get into the boot if its locked. cheers guys.