Which Timing belt on a 300TDI ??

Hi all

I have to renew a timing belt, tensioner, idler on a 300TDI 90

The problem is the 300TDI engine was out of a old disco (and fitted to a 1986 90)

Paddock list 2 different kits which have different part numbers

How can i work out which one i need ??

Many thanks all

Chris

I believe either kit will fit either engine - providing idler and tensioner are from the same year.

For instance - Parts for Vin up to VA560897 would be tensioner P/No ERR1972 to match idler P/No ETC 8560. I think the difference is just how the idler and tensioner fit together (the idler on one has a different diameter locating collar on the back to the other). I recently bought a 300TDi timing kit and the idler in it didn't fit the tensioner, so I had to exchange it. The belt is the same for both engines, so the difference must lie in the tensioner/idler assembly.

I would say that you would have to buy ETC8560 and ERR1972, or LHV100150 and LHP100860 (the later type).

Best guess I'm afraid :(

Les.

Hi all

I have to renew a timing belt, tensioner, idler on a 300TDI 90

The problem is the 300TDI engine was out of a old disco (and fitted to a 1986 90)

Paddock list 2 different kits which have different part numbers

How can i work out which one i need ??

Many thanks all

Chris

Early 300's had a small belt issue. If yours hasn't been sorted then it'll probably use the early parts as you say the engine was out of an old disco. If the belt issue has been sorted then it may use the new numbers.

Have a read through .. http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=26269 and http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=12788 out of the archive.

Hi all

I have just recieved my cambelt kit from John craddock (part number STC4096L) The tensioner and idler are NON lipped but the bottom crank gear is lipped front and back.

Would this be considered as a good enough set up to stop any belt walking issues ????

Many thanks chris

Hi all

I have just recieved my cambelt kit from John craddock (part number STC4096L) The tensioner and idler are NON lipped but the bottom crank gear is lipped front and back.

Would this be considered as a good enough set up to stop any belt walking issues ????

Many thanks chris

That is correct, its only the crank sprocket which has belt guides on it.

• 5 years later...