Def and 90s, what springs are you running (Front)

Odd post but I am wondering............. :huh:

With the mods to the 90 the weight and weight balances have changed,

The rear end (ooer) is now around 2.25 inches higher, the front I have

decided to 2Lift" to match the rear, as the rear suspension feels about

right in terms of springing and damping now with th Hard top / cage

weight off (was slightly undersprung before).

On the front I have had std 90 spring, actually new not long ago, 178 lbs and handed,

I was given a set of red / white virtually new to try - there about right height wise,

but long 17.18 inches, so accordingly the poundage is lower at 150.... :)

The test will be off road / cross axle etc, but I was wondering what people on here have

poundage wise on the front of their 90 / def and whats on it ie cgae / winches etc.

Ned to be springs with known poundages / lengths, would help me maybe work out if

long 150s will be ok or if they will bottom out too fast :( ......

Part of me says 178 > 150 is a big drop, another part says its not too much...

hence this post :lol: ????

Thoughts ?

Nige

I'm pleased with the 90 rears on the front of my 110, have lifted it a couple of inches from standard even with the weight of the winch on and I would think the Forth bridge on the front of yours (sorry winch bumper :P ) probably makes your front axle load about the same as my 110? Not really sure about articulation as it isn't something I have fiddled with, not so important here as if you get stuck its usually all four wheels :D

police spec rangie rears (red white) are 170lbs/inch and 17.5" long,

so only 5lbs inch lower than standard defender front springs, yet 2" longer.

works great on the front of my 90 with winch and bumper. solid 2" lift and handles on the road almost teh same as standard springs. Defo the best front springs in my book.

Without wanting to hijack the thread, I'm in much the same position with my 110. I'm happy with the standard spring rate but the front sags under the weight of the winch/bumper and s/guard.

I was at the point of fitting 90 rears as that's the L/R h/d option, but I'm still concerned 225lbs will be too hard.

I need a bit of lift 1"-1.5", but still want a compliant front end.

I'd rather stick with oe springs as OME stuff is too spendy.

So real first hand experience with different springs would be good, feel, handling, articulation etc.

On the front I have had std 90 spring, actually new not long ago, 178 lbs and handed,

I was given a set of red / white virtually new to try - there about right height wise,

but long 17.18 inches, so accordingly the poundage is lower at 150.... :)

Being longer does not affect the spring rate. The spring rate is set by the number of coils and the wire diameter only. Tall, low rate springs are pretty rare as most companies make stiffer springs. There is a place in Australia that makes long and low rate springs.

Red/Whites are 170 lb/in according to my info, http://members.shaw.ca/jbarge/springinfo.html#OEM

Anyone know of a spring with a rate a little stiffer than the stock 90 fronts, (ie 200-220ish) but that wont lift the truck above stock?

I've scoured around and i cant really find much, and it looks like i'm going to have to resort to taking a grinder to some springs to get the increased rate, without raising the ride height.

still think you should give the red/whites a try before you put anything else on,

the fact that they have an almost identical spring rate to the standard 90 springs means they ride and handle/behave exactly as you would expect from standard 90 fronts - but they have the benefit of being longer and giving a lift.

Without a winch and bumper, they give 2.5" lift. With a winch and bumper you get a 1.75-2" lift depending on how heavy your gear is.

Anyone know of a spring with a rate a little stiffer than the stock 90 fronts, (ie 200-220ish) but that wont lift the truck above stock?

i think you're gonna need to get cutting. Looking at the spring table standard fronts are 175 and 15"

If you want 200/220ish then you'll be wanting a 14" spring - which they dont do.

I have 220lb/ft x 432mm high on mine as do quite a few others and the front suspension works perfectly well with them and sits at about 310mm loaded (winch, wing bars, cage etc) spring length which is a pretty good lift. I like them, seem to flex well while still being reasonably stable.