Locking handbrake

I had one on my 90 (now sold) it was a Jet Lock.

A large bit of metal went between hand brake and seat box, then when the hand brake was up, you could engage a small bolt which stopped the lever from coming down. Key operated to get bolt out.

Think they went bust ages ago I dont get any decent results on t'internet search...

if they wanted the vehicle theyd just cut the handbrake cable.

What with? I bet most car thieves do not carry anything suitable (centre punch, slide hammer, screwdriver and pliers being about the only kit needed) and would be deterred and move on to easier targets. Of course it would not stop the really determined.

Chris

Its always useful to keep in mind the type of people who steal land rovers when your looking at and planning out security measures

Generally its not a young chav bevvied up and wanting a joy ride, or looking to put the window thru and grab a stereo for a quick fix, its often someone who wants the landrover for parts, and has probably seen it, cased the place out, had a deek around the cab to spot any security measures then returned prepared.

You will never be able to stop someone stealing it if that person is determined enough (if they really want it they'll just return with a HIAB), but if you slow them down enough they may well give up...

If the bolt is visible, then its something that they'd be prepared for, so i'd want the bolt as hidden as possible. Use as many security measures as you can, i'd try to combine some obvious things, like say a diskloc, with some more hidden things, like the valve on the clutch pedal and the lock mentioned here, obviously there's a balance to be struck and taking 20mins every morning to undo all the things you've immobilised it with isnt going to be fun.

if they wanted the vehicle theyd just cut the handbrake cable.

I've planned to add a chunk of steel plate to sheild the exposed cable. There's not much i can do about the rest of it.

It looks like i'll have to make my own version if they are no longer trading.

Thanks

obviously there's a balance to be struck and taking 20mins every morning to undo all the things you've immobilised it with isnt going to be fun.

You've hit the nail squarely on the head there fella.

It's aright having all these devices but if they take an age to activate/fit then deactivate/remove you will soon become bored and inclined not to use them.

Without giving the game away, I learnt this, and now all but 2 of my measures are self-arming/locking etc etc, and they have to be disarmed in order, otherwise she won't start or move. :angry:

It took me a while to get used to it :lol: but now it's second nature