Spare Wheel Mounted On Hard Top Side Panel

Thanks again Gents for your suggestions, particularly for the Saffie lateral thinking ;)

I've decided that I'll give it a go on one side first and see how I get on but before I do so I really would welcome a definitive answer on whether it would be legal in the UK. I can understand why fuel cans would not be kept on the outside but I can't really see a problem with a spare wheel. As Mr. Pending has pointed out above, there's nothing in the MOT regs to say it can't be done but would there be something elsewhere ?

Cheers :)

Mo

Thanks again Gents for your suggestions, particularly for the Saffie lateral thinking ;)

I've decided that I'll give it a go on one side first and see how I get on but before I do so I really would welcome a definitive answer on whether it would be legal in the UK. I can understand why fuel cans would not be kept on the outside but I can't really see a problem with a spare wheel. As Mr. Pending has pointed out above, there's nothing in the MOT regs to say it can't be done but would there be something elsewhere ?

Cheers :)

Mo

MoT regs and "Construction and Use" regs are separate, but you need to conform to both. I think this will be covered by C&U, and that the MoD have a dispensation.

I doubt there is a C&U reg against it specifically - and spares used to be carried on the sides of cars up till the fifties anyway.

You may fall foul of interpretation of MOT rules which state that no projections from the bodywork are allowed that may harm pedestrians, as it will stick out.

Even if there is no specific ruling against bolting a wheel to the side of a vehicle, you are still at risk of prosecution if a non standard modification you have made causes injury, or if an accident could be in any way contributed towards it - as we have seen recently.

I'm amazed that only one person has metioned the weight for a spare wheel being a bit much for a flimsy ally panel. (Well, from my quick skim read of this thread anyway).

You've only got to look at what spare wheels do to back doors to imagine the kind of damage they could inflict on a skinny aluminium sheet with no reinforcing frame. It would definitely need a proper bracket bolted / welded to something else that's properly solid.

C&U regs 1986 vehicle width

is stated as 2.5 meters in part 2, para 8(1) table 8(1) item 3.

can't see anything that relates to spare wheels or location/stowage position.

Thanks Ralph, does that mean that the max vehicle width can be 2.5m ?

Ashley, that looks really good mate but is a little more fabrication than I was planning ;)

Mo

If you, or you new someone who was good at fabrication, what about something like a drop-down

carrier mounted on the rear x-member ? This would give a platform/worksurface when dropped down.

The only downside (no pun inteneded) would be opening the rear door from the inside