Cooling system leak fixing products

GBMUD

Stop p-----g arround and get a new rad,

Do your self a favour and do the job properly, you know it is only going to get worse and probably when you need it most. ;)

Lara.

don't be so sendible!!!

I swear by black pudding skin. :rolleyes:

serioulsy tho' rad weld may buy some time or epoxy? neither are long term solutions.

I know that the correct course of action would be to fit a new radiator but I am looking for a short term solution for the time being. I just feel that I have spent enough money/time on it for now.

Chris

Chris.

A while ago I had a customer with an alloy rad with a needle thin jet of a leak in it. He couldn't afford a new rad and bearing in mind that the likes of bars leak and Radweld have a tendency to clog fine core radiators and heater matrix's - I bought a new type of sealer that (although costing almost £10) was a clear liquid and on the back of the bottle it stated that it'll fix a leak within 3-minutes. I added it to the cooling system as instructed and watched as the jet of water faded down to nothing within the stated three minutes. Quite remarkable to watch it happen, as you sort-of always expect these not to live up to their promises. On the downside I can't remember the name of the damn stuff off the top of my head. I bought it from Camberley Auto Factors here in Swindon. I'll get the name tomorrow and let you know if you like?

Les. :)

According to Yellow Pages, there's a company called Arrow Radiators Ltd in Melksham - might be worth asking them if they can mend it. (I think there's a way of patching radiators, but I've no idea how it's done).

"Egg white, porridge oats, mustard powder, black pudding skin???" Are you trying to fix a rad leak or get a mention in Egon Ronay?!! :D:D

We use ciggarete tabaco to field repair leaking radiators. Get the coolant nice and hot and radiator full to just above the leak. Turn engine off and put tabaco of two ciggarets into the radiator and wait for the exiting coolant to take the floating tobaco to the leak. Once the leak is bunged up start the engine up again and slowly refill via the expansion tank and get the system upto pressure this will complete the process of "sealing" the leak. This only works on leaks that are in the upper half of the radiator.

Adam

They used to use proper animal bone/skin wood glue [a piece about the size of the top of your thumb] to seal the Coventry Climax engines in the Coopers when they had a leak.

Me I like Wynns radiator seal.

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!

Stop p-----g arround and get a new rad,

Do your self a favour and do the job properly, you know it is only going to get worse and probably when you need it most. ;)

Lara.

OK, you win. An application of Radweld has failed too so I will buy a new radiator on Monday. Surprised to discover a Bristol radiator supplier is LOTS cheaper than a preferred LR supplier. £97+VAT.

Chris

OK, you win. An application of Radweld has failed too so I will buy a new radiator on Monday. Surprised to discover a Bristol radiator supplier is LOTS cheaper than a preferred LR supplier. £97+VAT.

Chris

Probably best solution Chris, you gave up smoking a few years ago and you are not borrowing my baccy!

Yup. Didn't know it was Avonmouth, that is miles. :) I have to visit the DVLA office on Monday too.

Chris

Wrong side of Brizle for you I suppose, but just of M5 so easy to get to.

If you need and nuts/bolts/etc nip into G. R. Fasteners who are just across from Arrow on the trading estate, good prices and helpful too, get all my stuff from them these days. Nice and handy too as I work at Avonmouth ;)

Actually thinking about it Arrow might have a place in Bristol too - just checked their website and they have, but they also have a place in Melksham, isn't that closer to you?

Wrong side of Brizle for you I suppose, but just of M5 so easy to get to.

If you need and nuts/bolts/etc nip into G. R. Fasteners who are just across from Arrow on the trading estate, good prices and helpful too, get all my stuff from them these days. Nice and handy too as I work at Avonmouth ;)

Actually thinking about it Arrow might have a place in Bristol too - just checked their website and they have, but they also have a place in Melksham, isn't that closer to you?

Sorry, Arrow rang a bell as I spoke to them earlier. I meant these people:

Advanced Auto Cooling (Bristol) Ltd

Unit 9, Avon Valley Farm, Pixash Lane, Keynsham, Bristol, Avon BS31 1TS

Tel: 0117 986 0022

Much cheaper.

Chris

Don't know them, but if they are cheaper then I might get to know them at some point.

£28+VAT cheaper!

I found them for £79 on Ebay with £9 postage - but I want to get on and finnish the job.

Chris