19j

landkeeper

can anyone shed some light re the 19j engine it seems it had two guises the first as we all know mr unreliable :D

but later the block was strenthened and adaptions made to the lump to make it better and more reliable, it would seem sometime in 1988. does anyone have any idea as to the engine number at which it was changed this is to help another landrover owner who is thinking of using one

the later engine block was use from engine number 19J 27515C not much change & just as poor as it's previous version, 200Tdi is a far better & longer lived stronger engine.

I do not know how long they last, mine has only driven 385.000 km so far.

mine covered 102,360 miles before it gave up, to much heat stress as it's not a intercooled engine, normal problems is cracked pistons/heads & blown head gasket, oil water in the oil & a big slimey mess in the air/oil filters & engine.

mine covered 102,360 miles before it gave up, to much heat stress as it's not a intercooled engine, normal problems is cracked pistons/heads & blown head gasket, oil water in the oil & a big slimey mess in the air/oil filters & engine.

You Animal, Ralph!

Mine had 137,000 on it before it was reconditioned & put in another LR.

I had to make do with a 200tdi.

Seriously though, they weren't that bad an engine in their time. Or at least mine wasn't! :rolleyes:

to fix mine was nearly as much as a new Tdi, so went for the new engine instead, glad I did, my cousin had a TD 90 & that died at 141,000 same faults cracked head/pistons.

when it was running well, I agree it was a good engine, probably would have been better with a intercooler fitted from new.