Hubs, Swivels, studs & an axle

Hello all :) ,

Okay, after much reading of numerous articles on the subject, I went ahead and got one hub rebuilt (OSF), bolted down and wheel on. Realised that I now seem to have even less thread on the studs to get the HD rims on and thought bugger! :huh:

Carried on and moved around to the other side (NSF) and stripped down to the stub axle. Split the hub and brake disc and banged out a wheel stud, which measures 44 mm. So looks like I'll have to spend on getting the FRC7577 studs and live with the excess thread - more is less I guess. Is there an intermediate size?

Once that side is all rebuilt, I'll be back to the first side (OSF) -keep up readers- to dismember it all again and replace the wheel studs.

Finally a proper question! If I have to go through all this, I'm thinking I may as well go further and strip down to the swivel ball and replace those - there is some weeping of oil, which could be a seal. But how annoyed would I be if its some pitting and it leaks after the rebuild? :angry:

Now the new swivel balls available are black Teflon coated, so am I right in thinking that the part number for these (FRC7065) is the only difference from the chrome FRC2644. Are they the same article dimension wise? Oh hang, another number is coming up now and its......FTC5105?! :rolleyes:

"What axle is it for?" I hear you cry. Err, the front one.....well if some kind soul can tell me where to look for the relevant numbers I'll let you know. Yes I could use the search facility, but you managed to read this far down, so you gotta be interested. Alright, I'll look in the Haynes manual for guidance, what's the worst that could happen?

P.S. After a scrabble around underneath, which much peering and scraping, I'm still no further ahead with finding any axle numbers. Even had the relevant paper from the workshop manual (with diagrams)! to help, but the effort was fruitless.

So lets just say it is for the front axle on a 1984 110 SWG to keep it simple.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions/recommendations/shoulders to cry on. :D

Swivels I think you'll need the one that take the Railko bush rather than the bearing (later variant)

Easiest way what size are the bottom bolts on the swivel pin if they are 17mm then you have the railko bush

early variant. The later roller bearing type have 13mm bolts on the lower swivel pin,

Wheel studs I have the longer ones from Paddocks and just live with the extra thread

Thanks for that.

Am I right in thinking that the part numbers are not relevant? Just want to be sure I'm getting the right parts when ordering, rather than trying to do a hand waving exercise whilst on the phone. :D

Had a look at the lower swivel bolts and they are 13mm, which if I read correctly means they are the later model swivels?

• 4 weeks later...

Planning on doing the swivel seals on my '87 LR90 soon, and I'm trying to find out if I have the Railko type or the later roller bearing type. I think I have the Railko type but...

Swivels I think you'll need the one that take the Railko bush rather than the bearing (later variant)

Easiest way what size are the bottom bolts oin the swivel pin if they are 17mm then you have the railko bush

early variant. The later roller bearing type have 13mm bolts on the lower swivel pin,

Wheel studs I have the longer ones from Paddocks and just live with the extra thread

In Les Hensons write up on a Railko equipped 110,

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...6&hl=swivel

The text under the 25th photo says the bottom pins have 13mm bolts which contradicts the quote above?

Great write up, very clear but can anyone clear this up?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear - this topic says that early swivels fitted to defenders with a railko bush on the top can be identified by having 17mm bolts on the bottom pin. But the 'how to' in the technical achive shows the bottom pin bolts on an early swivel are 13mm...

Does this mean that in the later type with roller bearings top and bottom are actually identified by 17mm bolts on the bottom pins not 13mm?

All I'm trying to clear up is what type of swivel bearings have I got - the bolts for the bottom pins are 13mm?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear - this topic says that early swivels fitted to defenders with a railko bush on the top can be identified by having 17mm bolts on the bottom pin. But the 'how to' in the technical achive shows the bottom pin bolts on an early swivel are 13mm...

Does this mean that in the later type with roller bearings top and bottom are actually identified by 17mm bolts on the bottom pins not 13mm?

All I'm trying to clear up is what type of swivel bearings have I got - the bolts for the bottom pins are 13mm?

It's the top pin that is either railko or a taper roller bearing. The bottom is always a taper roller bearing.

Railko bolts are 17mm.

I still don't think I'm being clear enough :unsure: I'm not asking about the differences between the 2 types, I'm asking how you identify each one without taking it apart. Thanks for your interest though - I don't mean to sound rude :D

Easiest way what size are the bottom bolts on the swivel pin if they are 17mm then you have the railko bush

If you look at the 'how to' on earlier Railko type swivels, the lower pin bolts are quoted as being 13mm. But it says above that it's the later type swivels that have 13mm lower pin bolts.

I'm guessing the 'how to' is correct as you can see the bolts in one of the pics and they look about 13mm. So, is it the later type swivels that have 17mm bolts on the lower pin?

The old swivels and new will be taper roller bearing at the bottom with 13mm bolts, its the top one thats either taper roller or railko, the railko is 17mm bolts and taper roller are 13mm i think. just have a look at the top swivel pin and see what size the bolts are. Hope this helps

The old swivels and new will be taper roller bearing at the bottom with 13mm bolts, its the top one thats either taper roller or railko, the railko is 17mm bolts and taper roller are 13mm i think. just have a look at the top swivel pin and see what size the bolts are. Hope this helps

Super, many thanks Fender! Thats clears that up - it's the size of the top pin bolts that identify if it's an early or later swivel. It's not the bottom pin bolts as mentioned earlier in this topic - I assume all the bottom pin bolts will be 13mm as it doesn't matter if it's a early or late swivel, they both have taper bearings.

While researching this, I read that if your Defender has rear drums the chances are it'll have Railko bush on the top swivel pin and if it has rear discs then it'll have the later taper bearing on the swivel top pin.

Cheers,

Mark