Head Light Switch

Ok heres a new one, for me anyway....Ya just get one thing fixed (ignition relay had mind of its own) and.....Headlight switch Td5 90 (2001). Stage one ...side lights and main headlights on low..works fine ! Stage two ..side lights and main headlights on low beam...Well this evening, stage two has gone from what it should be... to no lights out front at all and the dash lights go out just to add injury to insult !!! Any clues guys .....Mike

Sounds like the switch has got too hot & partially melted, mine did a similar thing, quickest & easiest fix is a new switch, it's not worth the effort to attempt a repair, but I did try on mine & gave up cos it wouldn't work all the time.

Sounds like the switch has got too hot & partially melted, mine did a similar thing, quickest & easiest fix is a new switch, it's not worth the effort to attempt a repair, but I did try on mine & gave up cos it wouldn't work all the time.

Thanks Ralph yet again to the rescue...Serves us right, the Dept of Transport came up with not so new idea of incouraging Irish motorists to drive with lights on at all times...They never enforced it but I got into the habit (and probably a good one) of having lights on at all times so there ya go !!! .Mike

Ok heres a new one, for me anyway....

Not for me, I think my first post on "the other forum" was called, "Lucas, lord of darkness"

I was doing 110km/h (70mph) on an unlit motorway, at 4am on a moonless night...

scared the cr@p out of me :wacko:

Anyway, it was under warranty at the time, when I took it back to the LR $tealer

they fitted a headlight relay. I strongly suggest that you do the same.

regards

Matthew

Not for me, I think my first post on "the other forum" was called, "Lucas, lord of darkness"

I was doing 110km/h (70mph) on an unlit motorway, at 4am on a moonless night...

scared the cr@p out of me :wacko:

Anyway, it was under warranty at the time, when I took it back to the LR $tealer

they fitted a headlight relay. I strongly suggest that you do the same.

regards

Matthew

Ok...had the switch out just three wires and five (or was it six) little copper contacts and three positions to select...Mechanically it seems fine is making contact and is not loose within the housing. Gave it a squirt of contact cleaning fluid but same result........Swopped the relays around(RM6D) to no avail....but i have discovered when i select position one...normal lights...as i slowly ease the lever forward i get the desired result but as the switch clicks home to second position ....blackout...dash/tail/parking the lot...Head scratching stuff lads what next ?......Mike

Easy bin that switch & fit a new one,

LR part AMR6104 from VIN VA104806

or

PRC3430 upto VIN VA104805 also Lucas switch SQB129 will fit vehicles upto this VIN.

:D

Thanks Ralph, it will have ti be a LR part...Lucas dropped outta here a while back...Ta ! Mike

i have had the same problem twice with mine in 7 yrs. they arent cheap switches though.................

Tell me about it, and over here the suppliers think that they can charge more cos there is less of them (the suppiers that is)....Frustrating thing is the switch is just a series of copper stud contacts...no electronics or circuit boards ...very simple....Mmmmmmm. .....Mike

Tell me about it, and over here the suppliers think that they can charge more cos there is less of them (the suppiers that is)....Frustrating thing is the switch is just a series of copper stud contacts...no electronics or circuit boards ...very simple....Mmmmmmm. .....Mike

True.

When I had trouble with my lighting and we were thinking headlight switch. I was gong to replace mine with an old switch I had from a Morris Minor from 1973.Especially when I saw the unjustified [in my opinion] price.

brokenlightswitch.jpg

Thats what happened to mine, the stud shrank back into the plastic.

Jas

Yeh thats the shagger Jas, now if i knew somebody with very small fingers, a copper brazing rod and the patience of a saint...Me tinks Ralph is right, replace and save my hair for another problem ! ....Mike

Thats same as mine did, I tried a repair but it was intermittent, so fitted a new one.

Uk Landrover Dealers......£65+ uncle sam's wedge.............Eire Landrover Dealers €96 + uncle sam's wedge (bout the same).... The unmentionable auction site....£8.45 inc P+P and no wedge to uncle sam....Come on Mr Postman........Now what to spend the rest of the lolly on that i told herself it would cost ! Mmmmmm

Hell, my new switch didn't cost me that much. mines a Lucas switch SQB129, cost me £27.96 inc VAT, and it's identical to the geniune LR part :D

I can source another & post it over if you want.

Have you recieved the CD's yet ???