A couple of winch questions .....

Anderzander

Two questions:

What oil can I use to lubricate my wire rope? I've read on www.pirate4x4.com (Thanks FridgeFreezer for the link) that engine oil isn't good enough ... neither is grease. It states to use something light enough so it will penetrate to the core - but doesn't actually specifically say what is suitable...

So anyone know what I can use?

Next question - what oil can anyone recommend to use in the worm box? The manual states ESSO GX90/140 which I can't seem to source and am not even sure is still in production.

Any help gratefully received!

Stephen

Yeah cant recommend Morris highly enough, just a shame Rocol so damn dear but good stuff we use the grease on our overhead crane, only thing I would say is before you do, really clean your rope otherwise it will wear out fast...

Motorcycle chain lube is good - it comes out very thin, so has time to penetrate, then the solvent in it evaporates, to leave a quite thick grease. I don't think there are many detergents that affect steel, but I used to clean mine with WD40 - soak a rag in it and run the line through it did the trick.

Les.

I clean my wire rope with a stiff brush & a few dry rags, spraying any cleaning fluid on, it'll just soak into the fibre core & may weaken the fibres.

Spot on! DONT use any kind of solvent based cleaner on wire rope, they are lubed from the factory, when you oil them or dressing as is called you are only topping up the original ,put the rope in tension and wire brush it/wipe with a rag, then apply the rope dressing and spool in, if its in regular use, you should really do it about once a month...

You're so far from me that my truck would need a service when I got there and another when I got back......

I did drive down to Cornwall some years back, stayed at Boscastle before it was flood damaged, loved it down there.

When we get to come down next I'll look you up - and bring some Morris oil :D

You're so far from me that my truck would need a service when I got there and another when I got back......

I did drive down to Cornwall some years back, stayed at Boscastle before it was flood damaged, loved it down there.

When we get to come down next I'll look you up - and bring some Morris oil :D

if you need any parts I know a good place at other end of town where I live :D

look forward to it, just PM me before you come & I can give you directions or a place to meet up.