Oh Jeeeesus... What have they done to my clutch cylinder?

Astro_Al

I started tackling my head gasket today, following Les' lovely guide.

While poking about I found my clutch slave cylinder attached by a few zip ties:

post-139-1239831094_thumb.jpg

post-139-1239831108_thumb.jpg

Anyone got any idea why the previous idiot owner did this, or what it should look like?

Do the parts even look like they belong on the vehicle?

Cheers, Al. :rolleyes:

I am pretty sure it is a sealed system - ie the master and slave cylinder are fixed together and sealed for life, so bodging a different slave on seems unlikely...

that is very special tho... :o

Well, I checked photos of the new part, the slave cylinder looks about the same, but there is a suspicious piece of rubber tubing on mine where the pipe enters the cylinder that doesn't look very 'factory'.

Ok, time for a whole new shooting match, including bracket I guess...

Damn it! P.O.s - who'd have them? :angry:

Ta, Al.

Anyone got any idea why the previous idiot owner did this <..> ?

Don't wish to hijack this thread but the same thoughts went through my mind when I started on the brakes on my RRC and found:

Rear discs only 8mm thick and look like they were made that way - what are they off I wonder?

Front discs only 18mm (NS) & 22mm (OS) thick, and both are too small on diameter (so the pads overhang) and one has a 5mm chamfer on each of the outer edges...

The previous owner must have WANTED to die...

BTW: What are P.O.s please?

Damn! I dreaded looking at my brakes, but after this...

Well, we all get self-righteous about the right to fix our vehicles, but its probably carp like this that led to the debate about whether people should actually have that right.

And from what I've seen, my opinion has changed somewhat!

Al.

Is this still the one I looked at with you and thought looked a bit dodgy anyway? :ph34r:

No fridge, its not the one in that garage in Portsmouth we looked at, its the one I turned up in at Billing. The one you poked around the engine bay of and agreed was in remarkably good nick. ;)

Well, after cutting all the zip ties off and having a look, the clutch system looks pretty new, but there is no plastic clip holding the slave onto its bracket. I guess they lost it and thought zip ties would do.

So I guess I need a plastic clip for it. The weird over-complex flange on the slave cylinder to locate it on the bracket has a bit of plastic chipped off, but hopefully that won't matter.

Cheers, Al.

Well, after cutting all the zip ties off and having a look, the clutch system looks pretty new, but there is no plastic clip holding the slave onto its bracket. I guess they lost it and thought zip ties would do.

So I guess I need a plastic clip for it. The weird over-complex flange on the slave cylinder to locate it on the bracket has a bit of plastic chipped off, but hopefully that won't matter.

Cheers, Al.

I would just leave it cable tied. The slave is held in place by the braket and the clip only stops it coming out backwards which it is very unlikely to do. In fact the cable tie is probably more secure than the clip would be. It might not look that pretty, but who cares if it does the job.

• 3 weeks later...

Firstly; the cable ties have been used to replace the small plastic clip that was used, dont worry about it, cable ties do a better job. but as your down there check the bracket, they tend to rust badly.

Secondly; I see from the picture, you have the thermostate mod fitted to the car. check to ensure the rear thermostate was removed (some people leave then in, big mistake).

When you get the gasket off, if its the MLF type, get the head gas tested it may be a case that the headgasket was renewed, but the head is cracked.