Discovery 200TDI Front Disc Replacement

norfolk pikeman

Hi

First MOT for me on my old Disco 200, failed on a few bits of welding and a bump stop missing plus front discs are low and need replacing, not to bad considering some of the horror stories I've read on the forums. However going to do the discs myself and just wondered if there are any unusual problems that might show on this job or special tools that would be needed, going to replace both disks and pads?

Also come across some Mintex kits from Paddocks which seem pretty cheap - are they OK or not - if not what make is better. And lastly (although there OK) is it worth putting braided front flexi's on whilst doing the rest and if so best place for them, seen some stainless ones on Llama.com site, seem pretty good, any advice on this would be great.

Many thanks

Hi, and welcome to the forum :)

<..> going to do the discs myself and just wondered if there are any unusual problems that might show on this job or special tools that would be needed, going to replace both disks and pads?

You may well find that the pistons are corroded. If so - do not push them back in or you will damage the seals, just get them out and replace with new. You might as well do the seals too while you are at it, but I would suggest only doing the main seals if the wiper seals look ok since the wiper seals are a PITFA to replace.

Also come across some Mintex kits from Paddocks which seem pretty cheap - are they OK or not

Well I hope they are ok - I just ordered some of their discs :D

And lastly (although there OK) is it worth putting braided front flexi's on whilst doing the rest <..> any advice on this would be great.

Don't know about makes of hoses, but from my own experience I would say it is well worth fitting braided for the feel and for the peace of mind. Bear in mind though, that for replacing the discs etc there is no need to disturb the brake lines. Taking this extra step of doing the flexies means you will have to bleed the system and also that you may run into problems getting the old lines out. I have just removed the old flexies on my '90 RRC and I have trashed two of the little solid lines that go from the bracket to the brake caliper... But I can just make new ones ;)

Hope you won't mind if I say that if any of the above stretches your abilities then please seek local help/advice. Fill in your location too (Norfolk is a big place ;) ), there may be sombody near by who could pop round to have a look.