annoying starting problem

my disco 200tdi when run upto temperature (80 degrees) and then turn it off and try starting it soon after it turns over very slowly and only just starts. Ive also got that common problem of the oil light flickering on tickover when engine is hot, im not sure if these 2 problems are related, so i changed the oil filter and oil today and it has made the engine turning over problem worse.

can anyone tell me if these 2 problems are likely to be related or if not what the possible things are making it turn over slowly?

P.S. im 99.5% sure its not electrical

P.S. im 99.5% sure its not electrical

200-1 against electrical? I'll have a quid on that ;)

I presume that this is repeatable - i.e. it cold starts fine and then after warming up it is slow turning, every time?

There aren't many things that I can think of that would make a warm engine harder to turn over than a cold one so I am being highly speculative with my thoughts here:

Nipping up in the bores or bearings due to a previous partial seizure?

Injection timing too advanced? (my thinking here is that when the engine is cold the advanced injection does not cause a problem since the fuel burns more slowly, but with a hot engine it burns rapidly and causes too much pressure before TDC)

More likely (I feel) is that the engine isn't harder to turn, just that the effort being put into turning it is lower - so, as was suggested above, check all earth straps and contact areas, all of the thick lead from the battery to the starter and finally the starter itself (strip, check, clean and reassemble).

If none of the above is relevant then hopefully a grownup will be along soon with a more useful suggestion... :)

Hope you suss it soon .

Roger

The reason i say its not electrical is its done it for a while with various starter motors and batteries, and recently ive fitted new bosch starter,twin batteries, split charge and a new alternator and all wiring either new or cleaned up and the problem is still there and also oil change made it worse so im thinking it must be somthing in the engine.

There aren't many things that I can think of that would make a warm engine harder to turn over than a cold one so I am being highly speculative with my thoughts here:

Nipping up in the bores or bearings due to a previous partial seizure?

something like engine partially seized is my gut feeling, my engine overheated and cracked the cylinder head about 1 year ago so im wondering if this could be it. how do i check for seizing engine?

Now that you've mentioned the seizing idea i think the slow starting and oil light flickering all started about the time that it overheated

Could quite easily be a loose engine earth, when getting war it might be enough to make it looser still as the bolt expands.....

You tried it with jump leads from battery to starter/engine block when hot?

Just trying to think of anything slightly less terminal... :(

Bowie 69 - i will give it a go just to completely rule it out.

I also thought of turning the engine over by hand when hot to see if it realy is any harder than when cold just to confirm it is the engine.

either is going to cost a few 100 quid, another engine would be unknown to you whereas your own rebuilt to your satisfaction should give another 15 years service.

Western i definately agree with this however looking on turner engineering website a recon engine block is £995 whether or not i need a recon block or just a bit of work to mine i dont know.