gearbox removal

ok, ive searched the forums and found a few bits but thought id ask out of interest!

ive been told there are numerous ways to remove an lt77 on an ex mil 90

1. remove the x member, remover gearbox mounts and pivot the t box in place on mounts-gearbox pulls out

2. remove xmember, and drop gearbox and t box together-makes mating gearbox and tbox easier. have to fix hand brake at same time so will probably do this way!

3 remove front grill and remover engine, gearbox and t box as one!

just wondered wether people had different ways etc!

cheers

Having done various different methods i find the easiest way is to take transfer box off first then gearbox, the gearbox crossmember can stay on using this method. i find this easiest for putting it back together aswell because they arent very heavy when seperate. and its much easier to mate gearbox up with engine when the transfer box isnt hanging off the back of it.

Having done various different methods i find the easiest way is to take transfer box off first then gearbox, the gearbox crossmember can stay on using this method. i find this easiest for putting it back together aswell because they arent very heavy when seperate. and its much easier to mate gearbox up with engine when the transfer box isnt hanging off the back of it.

when I changed my clutch, I opted to remove the seatbox floor and gearbox tunnel, then with an engine crane in through the open door removed it that way.

I can't comment on any other method but this way was a piece of cake

when I changed my clutch, I opted to remove the seatbox floor and gearbox tunnel, then with an engine crane in through the open door removed it that way.

I can't comment on any other method but this way was a piece of cake

If its just to change the clutch then yes i would agree with this method.

I bought a gearbox/transfer box cradle that goes into the top of a jack, and this makes it 'straightforward' to get both out in one go.

Only problem was how to get gearboxes out underneath chassis rails on top of a jack, I have done a couple now and ended up getting some taller than average 5ton axle and stands certainly helps to lift the vehicle up as tall as safely possible.

Getting the gearbox crossmember out can be a pain, I have found (IMHO) that using a 10t hydraulic ram to gently open up the chassis rails means they just drop in and out. This helps as they are often gunged/corroded a little against the chassis rails.