200 tdi electric question

just got my 90 back from a mate who fitted a disco 200 tdi and box for me and im realy impressed but for a couple of small

problems as i drove it back in the dark i noticed the lights kept going dim then bright also the temp guage going into the red

when the lights went dim i bought the steve parker temp sender conversion the temp guage sits in the middle with the lights off but

with lights on it goes into the red strange me thinks....i took the thermostat out thinking it was stuck shut but still the same

and the coolant seems cool to touch in the expansion tank with the engine hot could it be a faulty water pump ? and a bad earth

somewhere ??????please help

just got my 90 back from a mate who fitted a disco 200 tdi and box for me and im realy impressed but for a couple of small

problems as i drove it back in the dark i noticed the lights kept going dim then bright also the temp guage going into the red

when the lights went dim i bought the steve parker temp sender conversion the temp guage sits in the middle with the lights off but

with lights on it goes into the red strange me thinks....i took the thermostat out thinking it was stuck shut but still the same

and the coolant seems cool to touch in the expansion tank with the engine hot could it be a faulty water pump ? and a bad earth

I don't think you have a cooling problem, it's more likely to be electrical. The fact that your temperature gauge only goes into the red when the lights are on suggests that the cooling efficiency is OK.

I'd start by checking your earth connections, they're the most likely cause IMHO. Check the battery earth and the engine and gearbox earths are clean and tight. I'd also check that the +ve connections on battery starter and alternator are all clean and tight too, best to do these with the battery earth disconnected first though.

IIRC coolant does not circulate in the expansion tank all the time, it only comes into operation when the engine is warming up and cooling down. As the coolant warms up and "expands" any excess is pushed into the header/expansion tank. Conversely, as the engine cools and the coolant "contracts", it draws water out of the expansion tank back into the system. That's why the coolant in the expansion tank stays cool.

HTH

Mark.

I'd be more inclined to be looking for an electrical fault - a bad earth somewhere perhaps?

Does the gauge move when switching the lights on and off?- that would indicate that your gauge is being effected electrically rather than giving a true coolant temp reading.

IIRC the headlights are earthed to the chassis in the engine bay, the temp sender is earthed via the engine back through the engine earth strap to the chassis. Have you got any other electrical gremlins?

I'm sure an adult be along shortly to give you a sensible answer ;)

D.

on the bulkhead between the clutch cylinder & fuel filter is a bunch of Black Earth wires attached with a large screw, make sure these are clean & the screw is tight.

just had my second drive in the 90 now the temp guage sits right on the edge of the white next to the red ive got the

steve parker conversion temp sender fitted the engine doesent feel over hot but its a bit scary seeing the needle way over near the red could it be a dodgy water pump ?????

I also have the Steve Parker sender - when running round town the needle sits in the middle of the gauge, when at motorway speeds (60-70'ish) the needle sits just under the end of the white strip but never goes over the end of it. The fan has never cut in yet and everything else seems to be working OK!

HTH.

Dave.

I had this once with a dodgy alternator. Don't ask me which part of the alternator cos i don't know cos i just changed the whole unit.