So where am I allowed to drive??

Stretchie_

Looking at an OS map 1:25k I can drive on the byways which are indicated by the lines of green crosses (or red crosses if on 1:50k map)

Having looked at the Land Rover Owner insert from the other month 'UK's 20 best Greenlanes' some of them seem not to be on the byways but on routes marked with red dots or diamonds. Does this mean they are byways also?

Just don't want to be going down the wrong paths, so exactley which can I be driving and also, if I planned a route and took a mate with another car, how can I check before hand to see if these routes are ok to drive on or if they have TRO's on them?

Cheers

best move is to get the maps of your local area or area you want to visit & then contact the relevant county council rights of way officer, most likely through the highways section of the council. they hold the definitive map of all legal driveable unclassified roads & byways within thier county. make a appointment to visit & view the definitive map & take your maps & highlighters/notepad to mark up your maps & take notes of map ref's of each lanes start/finish co-ordinates, then you know you'll have the best info to hand & if your challenged by anyone while on your trip you can say, I've checked with the appropriate Council/person & you should then be fine.

red dots are UCR's and you can drive them too.

TRO's are marked at beginning and end of each Byway/UCR

Sometimes you have a Byway physically signposted with a footpath or Bridleway sign. Don't drive it. Check with the local country council and if it is still a byway on the definitive map then you can drive it and ignore sign, but not before.

Steve

Having looked at the Land Rover Owner insert from the other month 'UK's 20 best Greenlanes' some of them seem not to be on the byways but on routes marked with red dots or diamonds. Does this mean they are byways also?

That LRO insert is full of mistakes. Mistakes that could, in the worst case, get your car taken off you.

Look here... Trailwise

Consider joining a user group such as GLASS or CRAG