Suitable joint for a 1 link front suspension

jericho

Can anyone recommend a suitable joint to use for a 1 link and panhard rod suspension on the front of a landrover type vehicle?

I am concerned about the shock stresses sent rearward through the single link when the wheels hit an immovable object.

I thought about johnny/hiem style things,but the whole of the front end would depend on the shear strength of a single bolt.it might be possible,buy I haven't found a joint that looks big enough - and I would much prefer a joint with some sort of shock absorbing qualities ala johnny.

There was a trailer hitch ball joint jobby - bit like an X-joint - on Pirate a while back.I think it as made by Ballistic fabrications,but their website is down at the moment.

Any suggestions? Pics would be even better.

Thanks, Jerry.

There are ways of engineering around that. How about mounting the joint flat onto a surface (so the whole joint is in compression / shear)? Another option is make up a cup to hold the joint......

Joint on flat surface - yes,solves problem of bolts in tension,but they are still in shear from vertical accelerating/braking forces.

Joint in a cup ? - not sure.

Dolly - thanks.I found the thread on Pirate,but it looks like the chap has disappeared owing customers money!

Found these - Evolution fabrications Frankenhiems

Inch and a quarter though-bolt but no poly bushing - they could be a bit harsh (and pricey!)

gallery_1618_185_126427.jpg

Inch and a quarter though-bolt but no poly bushing - they could be a bit harsh (and pricey!)

It's only holding your front axle on, I'd just use a LR track rod end and have done with it.

Joint on flat surface - yes,solves problem of bolts in tension,but they are still in shear from vertical accelerating/braking forces.

Dolly - thanks.I found the thread on Pirate,but it looks like the chap has disappeared owing customers money!

FWIW I think whilst the big one might be best over the smaller one,

defo don't use the flimsy drinks can in the middle -won't be strong enough

HTH :P

Nige

Guest noggy

i agree with nige, that Nestea can will seriously limit articulation! :P

If he's still building it how can the results be good? :huh:

Good results from a truck still in build? sounds Extreeeeeme! B)

Can the holes in the X-joint be enlarged to allow for larger bolts?

Will.

If he's still building it how can the results be good? :huh:
Good results from a truck still in build? sounds Extreeeeeme! B)

Can the holes in the X-joint be enlarged to allow for larger bolts?

Will.

just for the picky

good results on his new vehicle that he hasnt long finished building but is constantly finding things to improve as i think we all are

1st time out 3rd in class 6th overall

2nd time out 1st in class 2nd overall

not bad for a unfinished vehicle as you put it B)