Discovery td5 clutch

trucker104

Hi, have just bought a td5 disco with a dodgy clutch, it squeels when let out at high revs, im guessing this is the spigot bearing?? is this the likely cause? in the manual it says either take out the engine or the gear box any ideas which is easiest? Its a 99 is it still prone to the bolt falling out of the oil pump sproket? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

when doing a tdi clutch i remove the engine but when i did my td5 i droped the gear boxes as there looked alot more pipes and wires than the tdi whent ok the big thing to look for when doing the clutch is to have a good look at the fly wheel there was not alot of play in my flywheel but it was badly dished costing and extra £220 and yes there is a problem with the oil pump bolt on td5 from 1998-about 2001 and some later the sump can just be lowered enough to get to the bolt to remove the bolt and put some lock tight on when i did mine i just bolted it back up using the old gasket and it worked ok

Hi, have just bought a td5 disco with a dodgy clutch, it squeels when let out at high revs, im guessing this is the spigot bearing?? is this the likely cause? in the manual it says either take out the engine or the gear box any ideas which is easiest? Its a 99 is it still prone to the bolt falling out of the oil pump sproket? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

I replaced the clutch/flywheel in my 01 Td5 last summer . I took out the engine and did a few other jobs as well - even dropped the sump and Loctited the bolt in the oil pump .

In your case this would be very important as it was the early Td5's that seemed to suffer most from this problem .

I also changed the water pump , injector loom and slave cylinder ; and had the starter and alternator checked out and removed the EGR.

Taking the engine out is not too bad a job and the comfort of working on it once out makes the effort well worthwhile . All the work seemed so much easier due to the complete access .

I discovered the spigot bearing had broken up and used bearing fit on the new one as it was not a very tight fit in the crankshaft .

In my case the Disco developed a vibration due to failure of the dual mass flywheel .