LT77 GEARBOX

:unsure: HELLO , I NEED HELP .

I'VE JUST REPLACED MY 2.5NA WITH A 200TDI AND REALISED THE GEARING IS A LITTLE LOWER THAN IT SHOULD BE .

I STILL HAVE THE DISO BOX , SO AM I CORRECT IN THINKING THAT I SHOULD EITHER CHANGE THE TRANSFER BOX OVER OR SWAP THE BELL HOUSING AND INPUT SHAFT FROM THE NA BOX TO THE DISCO BOX, WOULD THIS SOLVE THE PROBLEM ?

BEARING IN MIND I HAVE NEVER WORKED ON GEARBOXES I'M NOT SURE HOW TO DO EITHER ONE , DOE'S ANYONE KNOW WHICH WOULD BE THE BEST OPTION AND MORE IMPORTANT HOW TO DO IT .

ANY HELP OR ADVISE WOULD BE GREATLY WELCOME :unsure::unsure::unsure:

hi there and welcome to the forum!

The input pinion ratio is the same between both of the gearboxes so this won't solve the problem, there are slight gear ratio changes between the gears (except fourth, which is always 1:1), so it looks like a transfer case swap.

THANKS FOR THE WELCOME ,

DO THE TRANSFER CASES JUST UNBOLT AND SLIDE OFF ( HE SAY HOPEFULLY ) OR IS THERE MORE TO IT THAN THAT . GEARBOXES ARE SCARRY THINGS I HAVE IMAGES OF SPRINGS AND BALLBEARING FLYING EVERYWHERE .

BY THE WAY , I PLAN TO CHANGE BOTH AXLES OVER WHEN THE WEATHER CALMS DOWN A BIT SO THAT SHOULD HELP .

not sure on transfer case removal as I've never had to do it.

But gearbox-wise there is little to worry about an LT77, there's more in the way of springs and balls in the earlier Series gearbox gearchange mechanism. The only spring that I can think of at the moment is for the gearchange detent plunger, which 3 out of 4 varients of LT77 that I have stripped (SD1, LDV400, Disco LT77S and Def90 LT77), only the very early Suffix C resulted in the ball falling out and dissappearing under the work bench :lol:

Biggest problem is the removal of the nut for the layshaft fifth gear, and generally pulling all the gears off the mainshaft which are a press-fit. All just takes time and a manual, or as I did brought a scrap box and practiced with that :)

thanks for the help , i'll have to check whats involved . it would be simpler to just put the disco box in but i would need to change the bellhousing , it's longer apparently and would move the gearbox to far back. this would also mean changing the input shaft .

thanks for the response , just the answers im looking for .

axle change was more to do with disc brakes than anything else , but i did'nt know the ratios were the same . is it poss to convert my drums to disc without changing axles.

whats the std n/a t box 1.6? and the disco will be 1.2, so may find it a little tall, depending on what tyres your running. 1.4 isn normally ideal

if the n/a is 1.4 then forget the above as you have tried it!

is it poss to convert my drums to disc without changing axles.

Yes, strip each down until the stub axles are fully visible, if these are identical then just fit the disc brake bits to the existing axle on your vehicle, if there not identical you'll have to swap the stub axles as well.