Top tip learned this weekend

disco_al

not sure if anyone has done this before, but when we were attempting to refit the transfer box to my disco on Saturday, we were having one hell of a game getting it to sit on a jack. So, my extra pair of hands (sav4x4 on here) suggested the following;

place the handle off the trolley jack across the transmission tunnel, and use a ratchet strap to lift the box. This worked perfectly. If you use the top rh mounting hole of the transfer box (the one the stud fits through) then it lifts it nice and easily, and it hangs at the correct angle to be in the right place first time.

so there you go, use a ratchet strap to refit them - not sure if it works on a defender, but it does on a disco.

I did a similar trick fitting my transfer box after a clutch change, used my 1m crowbar across the front seats with a rachet strap supporting the trabnsferbox & lifted the front end of the box into the right location. worked OK but very difficult on your own like I was.

Ah - been there, bought the HOFS T-shirt....

Bear in mind though that although the ratchet straps are good for assistance and "rough work", they don't allow a controlled release. So, if you go a tad too far, it can get tricky!

Also remember to position the ratchet so you can get the handle all of the way round to release at the end of the job :D

the way i do it is to lift it in by hand

i simply roll it on to my chest , led on my back under the truck

then lift it up and on , if u dont get it right first time its a pain

its the way iv done all mine and much eaiser than buggering about with straps ect , just gota put your back into it !!

si the window winders ae used for the fine adjustment or leave the windows half up then you have a small amount of up an down adjustment

on a serious note

i bought an engine crain from machine mart much safer an easier one strap a sling to the front of gear box then bolt a section of suitable plate to the just of top rear of the trans box and its perfectly balanced, altho i prob have more use than others for an engine crain

before i bought it engines an gearboxes were chained turbonutter's way

dave

The 3 speed transfer box I built for my 6x6 weighed as much as a complete mainbox and transfer box together. I fitted it with scaffold pole across the open Series 3 door windows and a ratchet strap. It went in attached to the removable cross member before I welded the cross member mounting brackets to the chassis.

I did have an engine crane but couldn't be bothered to get it out as it was heavy! :huh:

before i bought it engines an gearboxes were chained turbonutter's way

dave

i simply roll it on to my chest , led on my back under the truck

then lift it up and on , if u dont get it right first time its a pain

...for the engine?

you must be very very strong. I would thing it would hurt - either in the back or in the chest. :lol:

...for the engine?

you must be very very strong. I would thing it would hurt - either in the back or in the chest. :lol:

lol , not for engines !!!

the tbox is easy to lift in on my own , but for engines its needs to be a crane

iv never just removed the gear box yet , always been engine and g/box together

Also a help if you put a couple of threaded studs into a couple of the holes the connecting bolts go into.

Once the box is on these studs it will slide together much easier & reduces the chance of a slip. Once all fitted & you've got a couple of bolts in remove the studs & fit the remaining bolts.

Used it for years refitting engines & gearboxes to each other after clutch changes & makes it all so much easier & safer. Lengths of threaded rod are a couple of quid from B&Q, just cut a couple of lengths off.