Steering Stop Nuts

Don't think so. Plenty of WD40, slacken the lock nut off and unwind the adjuster a turn or two and check/repeat. Retighten locknut.

Note even if it all seems clear when stationary you can still get rubbing when manouvering. I've just kept winding the adjusters out half a turn and running the truck for a few days between each adjustment. Now fine, just polishing the radius arms. I'm running 35x10.5 on 7x16s 4.25 backspacing IIRC.

Did manage to bloody my nose when the spanner slipped and hit myself in the face with my clentched fist though :wacko:

A little tyre rub when in full lock and at low speed will do little if any damage to the tyres and none to the LR and you are very unlikely to be in full lock at high speed. I chose not to adjust the steering stop nuts as in some situations I prefered to have alittle tyre rub and alittle more lock than the other way round.

Adam

• 6 years later...

Slightly off topic (sorry), can anyone recommend a replacement for the poxy bolts the 1995 110 uses for the stops (FTC4111, with nut NT112041L)? On the '89 V8 we had, the stops were formed as big chunks of metal with a nut head, and with a threaded rod half-way down that fit through the swivle housing and through to the lock nut (if that description makes sense...), rather than just a fully trheaded bolt as on the '95 model. The chunk of metal bottomed out agains the swivle housing and prevented the stop from bending, whereas the fully threaded bolt bends under use - complete rubbish.

Maybe I'm brutal when steering, but those bolts are constantly bending when I drive off-road.

Thanks.

I just used stainless steel bolts and nuts, copper greased to stop them seizing, in the hope that they won't rust to hell under there.

Still making minor adjustment on them to stop rubbing but I can't get anywhere near the measurement that Rave reckons. I'd need bolts twice as long and would never get round corners!

Malcolm

I welded a slighty curved plate say 3 x 4 inch onto the radius arms where the tyres touch , ive got qt castor corrected radius arms which are more like an i beam didnt want them to rip my nobbles off but allows at low speeds to get max lock!!

Work out how long the spacer needs to be for your set up and have some machined at your local machine shop or send me a drawing and I will machine you some up out of A4 stainless steel

That would work, but frankly I'm thinking of binning the things and just taking it easy when turning in the sand.

Cheers.

see item 16 &17 for the pre 300tdi stop bolt/nut http://www.numcat.ru...ver/p/31/52606/

the 300tdi on doesn't have a spacer see item 15 http://www.numcat.ru...ver/p/31/52607/

how the heck are you bending these when off tarmac roads ? the sole job is to prevent the tyre rubbing on the radius arms at full lock.

I think what's happened is that I've been a bit too enthusiastic and turned too hard for grip when trying to get unstuck in mud, the result being that the weight of the wheel transmitted a lot of force through the stop bolt when ... well, it stopped.

I'll check out the links - thanks.

Cheers.

• 6 years later...

need help please on my 1985 LR 110 EX-MOD with wolf steel wheels tubeless 6.5x16 and just got some BFG KO2 265/75 R16 last night and now they are rubbing on the radius arm at full lock. i had a feeling i should not get as wide a tire but they just look so good on the rover. i dont know how much room there is for adjustment on the bolt that i can adjust. but if i can not adjust the lock to lock to reduce the turn what would be the next Width / narrower of tire on BFG KO2 down from 265/75 R16 that i can get and would fit the wolf wheels and not be rubbing the radius arm? also i did not see the stop plate for the steering lock adjustment bolt. the bolts are there but did not see any stop plate and that could be the reason that the bolt may be traveling too far. anyone know the part number or who has them for sale i could go get one? sorry for the long winded questions thanks

My '89 110 has 255/85 BFG MT KM2 tyres on the same wheels as you have, these don't rub on full lock with the steering stops correctly adjusted.

adjust the left stop to keep right tyre inner shoulder from rubbing on radius arm, the stop is actually on the forward face of the swivel housing 

items 16/17 in page 417 http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/parts_books/110/5_axles_suspension_steering_p398-471.pdf & touch the axle 

extract from workshop manual 

WP_20180608_19_40_47_Pro.jpg