300 tdi starter woes

disco_al

last night the starter motor fried itself on my new disco. strange thing was, there was a clicking from the n/s footwell every second or so, and the brake pedal was pulsing in time to it (abs kicking in?). i turned the engine off, and restarted it, drove home, and when i pulled up, could smell the obvious scent of cooked starter, and it wouldn't turn over, not even a click from the solenoid.

any ideas what the clicking could be? abs relay playing up maybe? although why would that fry the starter? unless the solenoid was causing an electrical short somewhere.

it did the same thing with the clicking once earlier in the day, with the engine off, but with the key in position 2 (dash lights on).

help please, i've spent all weekend replacing the 'box, and want to use it now :(

last night the starter motor fried itself on my new disco. strange thing was, there was a clicking from the n/s footwell every second or so, and the brake pedal was pulsing in time to it (abs kicking in?). i turned the engine off, and restarted it, drove home, and when i pulled up, could smell the obvious scent of cooked starter, and it wouldn't turn over, not even a click from the solenoid.

any ideas what the clicking could be? abs relay playing up maybe? although why would that fry the starter? unless the solenoid was causing an electrical short somewhere.

it did the same thing with the clicking once earlier in the day, with the engine off, but with the key in position 2 (dash lights on).

help please, i've spent all weekend replacing the 'box, and want to use it now :(

Hi, are you sure the clicking was from the footwell and not the strarter solenoid clicking in or trying to pull solenoid out I think they would appear to be in the same area, only reason I can think of starter sticking in is solenoid holding it in, so maybe best to check that as well or have you replaced it as one unit, hope this helps some as its only a guess.

found the relay causing the problems (possibly). it seems to control the fan blower, as when removed that stops working. i also noticed that with this relay in place, when you turn the lights on, the radio resets, and the rev counter drops, also when the h/brake is applied, the lights go brighter - so i am thinking of adding an extra earth strap, as all was fine before i changed the box, and i don;t remember removing a strap from the box

after some more investigating at lunchtime, i have now found the cuplrit - the abs pump relay. loose pin on it, that was causing it to behave in weird manner ie clicking rapidly, which could be felt through the brake pedal.

new relay ordered for tomorrow from local auto electricians, old relay removed and ready to be junked.

something to do with the amount of oil in the nose cone i suspect from the leaking rear crank seal (replaced while the box was off). was well fried - smelled the office out when i bought the old unit in :)

all working fine now :)

just a few other gremlins to find and blenderize