*****Calling help from all area's*****

Right, not sure really where to start so here's the problem

ATM it won't start (3.5efi) but when it did, it started on about 4cyl, was blowing back through the air filter and pumping pure blue smoke out of the exhaust.

Things that work on it:

-Managment system

-Fuel pump

-Spark plugs, dizzy coil etc.

One of the problems is that the fuel is only getting as far as the plenum and not really giving the plugs a good soaking and flooding up. The other is the fact that some of the smoke was a little white tonight when it suddenly decided to start. So could be a head gasket? But why all the blue smoke and lack of fuel? Also the plugs seem to have oil on them and when I removed the air flow meter and pipe, both the plenum inlet and pipe was full of some kind of oil mixed with a bit of petrol guey gunk.

All seems strange to me as it was running ok the day before, (albeit a bit lumpy and a pain to start) but no signs of sudden death :blink:

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Are all the valves opening? I had a 3.5 where the cam for number 8 exhaust ended up round and was not opening the valve at all. The symptoms were very similar to what you describe. This can happen in a very short period if the surface of the cam gets damaged due to lack of oil etc. as the cam is only 'case hardened' - rather like a Smartie, hard shell, soft centre.

Chris

How will I be able to test if the valves are all opening?

If they aren't, then it looks like my 4.2 will be going in sooner than I thought but I was on to do a challenge this weekend

Remove all plugs

Do a compression test

or

Remove rocker cover disable ignition crank and watch arms up n downing

In the meantime I'll have a thinky

Nige

I have had something very similar for a while (very lumpy cold starting, black smoke, irratic idle/hunting), so vehicle has been off the road for about a year!! I have done every test going, rebuilt loom etc. etc. and all checks out fine. So am today about to send my injectors off for a bit of a cleanup as this is about the only thing left.

If it is any consolation, my engine has only done about 4,000 miles and runs like a swiss clock on LPG.

I will report back if this cures the problem.

I have had something very similar for a while (very lumpy cold starting, black smoke, irratic idle/hunting), so vehicle has been off the road for about a year!! I have done every test going, rebuilt loom etc. etc. and all checks out fine. So am today about to send my injectors off for a bit of a cleanup as this is about the only thing left.

If it is any consolation, my engine has only done about 4,000 miles and runs like a swiss clock on LPG.

I will report back if this cures the problem.

That will be expensive. Why not borrow some to experiment with. I'm in Waterlooville and have a set of both 3.5 and 3.9 injectors.

Steve

That will be expensive. Why not borrow some to experiment with. I'm in Waterlooville and have a set of both 3.5 and 3.9 injectors.

Steve

Now he tells me! :lol::lol:

Many thanks for the offer Steve. I didn't think too bad at £10 an injector, but will be in touch if this doesn't do the trick.

The other is the fact that some of the smoke was a little white tonight when it suddenly decided to start. So could be a head gasket? But why all the blue smoke and lack of fuel? Also the plugs seem to have oil on them and when I removed the air flow meter and pipe, both the plenum inlet and pipe was full of some kind of oil mixed with a bit of petrol guey gunk.

If the gunk was grey that's a problem.

All seems strange to me as it was running ok the day before, (albeit a bit lumpy and a pain to start) but no signs of sudden death :blink:

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Some if not all the above symptoms are what I had last Tuesday and that was both head gaskets corroded at the front by the waterway and it was just starting too go all wrong. 2.5day's and lots of steady work inc lapping the valve's for good measure and all's well..

Jeff.

All fuel is fine, lots of pressure right upto the plenum, and plug leads are all in order!

I think this engine has hads its time now, I have a 30,000 mile 4.2 with gearbox sitting here so rather than spend any money on it, I will just remove it and put the 4.2 in. I was just hoping it would be a simpler job rather than internal parts so I could use her for a little longer as I wasn't planning to put the other engine in for a little while.

Thanks though chaps, appreciate it

Just an additional thought...........

If fuel then its either filter blocked, pump dying (often the case) or PRV failing / failed

One truly 'horrible bodge' is to squeeze the return hose with molegrips 'gently' :o when running....

as this will increase the fuel in the rail :)

Worth a go, erm..... BTW don't f clamp it .....as the HP EFI Pump can produce 120 PSI if OK :lol:

Nige

• 2 weeks later...

Just as an update.

Now fitted recon. injectors and runs like a dream.... for the first time in over a year.... YIPEE.

So I am assuming mine was sticky/ dirty old injectors. The tuneable ECU actually makes a diference now when I twist its knob :ph34r:

YBR - In your original post, you mention that 'the fuel is only getting as far as the Plenum'. AFAIK there should not be fuel in the Plenum (apart from a bit from 9th injector when really cold), so maybe your 9th injector is leaking? Have you tried blocking it off?

Good point Coastguard - if the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm is perforated then it could be sucking fuel into the plenum via the vacuum pipe - To swap out an engine is a shed load more elbow grease than trying a few tests especially if its a differant variant V8 - lots of potential gotchas there