R380 onto 200Tdi

Hi,

I have a 1986 Ninety with Defender 200Tdi engine and my LT77 needs replacing. I have an R380 with LT230 from a 1995 Defender 90 at hand. Is it a straight foreward swop or do I need to make modifications? If so, what kind of modifications.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Rob

you have two options for an R380:

use the R380 as is, along with the 300TDi gearbox crossmember and 300tdi engine mounts, this will move your engine forward into the 300tdi position, and you MAY need 300tdi propshafts as the TXB might be in a different place?

or

Find a short shaft r380 (rare) and fit that in place of your existing box.

or get an LT77

I have a 300tdi crossmember here that has been powdercoated if you fancy that route...

I guess its up to you wether you think the work required to install the box you have outweighs the cost of simply buying another LT77...

Hi,

I have a 1986 Ninety with Defender 200Tdi engine and my LT77 needs replacing. I have an R380 with LT230 from a 1995 Defender 90 at hand. Is it a straight foreward swop or do I need to make modifications? If so, what kind of modifications.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Rob

How long is your Bell housing not including the flywheel housing ?

I'm not sure now after swapping PM 's with JM that my old LT77 bell housing was reused on my R380, seems a stumpy bell housing came in the R380 retro-fit kit, but I'm not able to confirm as I wasn't present when my original R380 was fitted 15 years ago.

yes it is possible but as has been said its not easy as im doing this right now. the engine a gear box bolt together but half the bolt holes wont line up. if using gearbox crossmember will need new front propshaft, needs new gearbox tunnel, seat box needs replacing or cutting about, foot panels need modifying, changing the possition of engine mounts. thats all i can think of for now but theres possible more

I did this job a few weks ago. not a bad job really nice wagon to drive now.. I used a disco 200 tdi mated onto a defender R380 and a disco transfer box. Bolted the transfer box in the original place for a 'b' reg ninety and then bolted the g box on . Engine seemed to bolt straight on to the gear box no probs. Then I cut the mounts off the discovery and welded them on the chassis. She sits in there tidy and no need to worry about the exhaust fouling on the bulkhead like some of the 200 tdi donversions. I 'll try and post some photos when I get some time..