engine keeps on running

Hi again,

strange problem last night when i got home i switched off the ignition on my 200tdi 90 but the engine carried on running and then died after about 10 seconds. Does anyone know the possible things this could be and how i go about testing it?

cheers

If the stop solenid is mechanically sticky pulling the electric supply will not make it stop any quicker!

However, it is a useful test to see if you have a mechanical or electrical problem.

Start engine, pull electric supply off.

If it stops dead, you have an electrical problem.

If it over runs, you have a mechanical problem.

If it is electrical problem, then consider anything with a permanent live to be "backfeeding" the circuit. It takes 12v to open the solenoid but (from experience) only 6v to keep it open. Some TD5s will not stop the engine if you hold the brakes on as the brake light circuit somehow backfeeds to the stop solenoid! It could be your radio or any accesory plugged into the ciggy lighter.

If it is mechanical then the solenoid needs removing. I'm sure it is in the tech archive.

If the stop solenid is mechanically sticky pulling the electric supply will not make it stop any quicker!

However, it is a useful test to see if you have a mechanical or electrical problem.

Quite right, I was thinking spurious electrical supply problem, rather than the jamming open for which they are well known and which I should have mentioned for a more complete answer.

Worst case, it could be running on engine oil, which is not good.

I'll hang my head in shame for a while ;)

Mo

ok will try that. when i turn the ignition off the battery light comes on while the engine is running and then goes out when it dies dont know wether this means anything or not.

That's normal and is unrelated to your problem.

Mark.

i know its not lr related but on our jcb3cxs if you turn the ignition off with the heater fan running the engine will run on only for a couple of seconds but it appears the fan motor supplies enough brief power to keep the stop solenoid open if that makes sense,chris.

All is said above: disconnect the solenoid and see whats happening.

I have the problem myself. In my case it's mechanical.

Fine metal powder is building up in the (magnetic when open) solenoid and prevents the pin from sliding down.

I have to clean it from time to time and it's usually fine for two months before it occurs again.

I know, the root of the problem is in the injection pump which will need as full service at some stage. However, I keep postponing it as the engine runs extremely well and the service will cost the same now or later.

My K reg 200tdi disco had exactly this problem and it was diagnosed as the swash plate in the injector pump producing swarf which in turn prevented the fuel solenoid from closing. Apparently this was a very common problem with 200tdi s and mine was even fixed for free by Bosch but that was some 10 years ago.

My K reg 200tdi disco had exactly this problem and it was diagnosed as the swash plate in the injector pump producing swarf which in turn prevented the fuel solenoid from closing. Apparently this was a very common problem with 200tdi s and mine was even fixed for free by Bosch but that was some 10 years ago.

As above ... remove the solenoid and if your lucky you can sometimes see the offending bit of swarf and gently pull it out. Often though its a pump strip down job which aint cheap. If the pump is also leaking then i'd cosider getting it resealed now anyway and get it well checked out as it will prob fail its next mot anyway.

Yep, same happened to my Injrction pump, but cost me near 400quid to have fixed/calibrated, been fine since :D