Which engine hoists do you have?

mickeyw

I have the Clarke 1T and it is a bit too short for the engine in my 110 300TDi, even using a leveller. I need to remove the bumper or it's awkward. Also the splayed legs made it difficult to position above the SGS engine stand I have. Can't quite get the stand close enough to transfer it on / off the crane and I have to push on the chain to the bolts and when removing it swings away when loose.

• Like 1

I've a generic Ebay special engine hoist... and the removing the bumper comment above rings very true. Can "just about" remove the drivetrain in 1 hit, but the first bit can be a little bit sketchy. 

From memory I had a crepper thing under the back of the transfer box to help balance until it I could get it over the front cross member..  (not sure if this is standard practice)

Having looked at the Sgs crane I decided to buy this one from Ebay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124343007732) The differences quoted on the Sgs website which include not having a manoeuvring handle and fixing for the legs when upright can be sorted for less than the £125 saving. I shall let you know what it's like when it arrives and gets some abuse.

My thoughts on the handle are to replace the one bolt that secures the straps near the top with a thicker length of threaded bar so that it extends out either side and a decent bungee cord or strap for the legs.

I've got one of those cheap eBay things which does the job. Although rated at 2t I've found anything close to that weight is too big to be used that close. It's managed V8s, 300Tdis, SL35s, LD28s just fine.

I have used it for moving the Perkins lump out of the JCB as well, that thing is 500kg dry and the sump isn't far off a Tdi block in weight. Although I didn't trust it more than to lift it up and onto the legs to move it about the workshop. I then made a stronger engine stand to hold it and the crane handled lifting it in and out reasonably comfortably. Actually lifting it in and out of the engine bay we used a neighbours Matbro. It is lovely living in a rural environment with all these useful neighbours nearby.

If I need more reach like I did getting the 1UZ and gearbox out of the donor then I cheat...

DSC_0657.thumb.JPG.90d6a32d6e16722a03f22b7fe8507b6f.JPG

• Like 1

Just a small detail, I have a really ancient screw operated hoist, but it came with wheels on the jib end and casters on the back. After first use the wheels got swapped to some large casters, makes manoeuvring it much easier.