running a 300tdi on hydraulic oil?

CURLY

anyone done or heard of this?

i read somewhere that you can run it on 50:50 diesel and hydraulic oil..

??????????????

does hydraulic oil explode under compression and i think its dearer per gallon than diesel as its been said heating oil can be used as long as oil is mixed to lubricate the pump but i dont know about hydraulic oil let us know if it work.

illegal?

why's that? cos of the emissions?

i can get used hydraulic oil for nowt, and read that these engines can run on anything from chip fat, to hydraulic oil and old engine oil!

if i mixed half diesel and half hydraulic oil would that have enough lubrication, or would i need to add something else to it?

CURLY

illegal?

why's that? cos of the emissions?

i can get used hydraulic oil for nowt, and read that these engines can run on anything from chip fat, to hydraulic oil and old engine oil!

if i mixed half diesel and half hydraulic oil would that have enough lubrication, or would i need to add something else to it?

CURLY

It's illegal if you don't pay fuel duty.

The hydraulic oil you add is a fuel substitute like vegetable oil but because the hydraulic oil in a mineral oil based product you are not allowed to use the 2500litre exemption before paying duty as is the case with vegetable oil.

You can use hydraulic oil quite legally if you register with HM Revenue and Customs and arrange payment of the fuel duty, at present 54.19pence / litre.

If you do it illegally and get stopped you loose your car and get fined. Simple really.

good grief, what a rip..

reckon i'll try buying some good old veggie oil from somewhere instead then.. but how do they know how much you use?

this disco is costing me a fortune to run, but i love it.. i need to either come up with a cheaper fuel, i;e hydraulic oil or chip fat etc, or i'm going to have to sell it..

what about heating oil? 20 second heating oil?

how much would that be?

CURLY

good grief, what a rip..

reckon i'll try buying some good old veggie oil from somewhere instead then.. but how do they know how much you use?

this disco is costing me a fortune to run, but i love it.. i need to either come up with a cheaper fuel, i;e hydraulic oil or chip fat etc, or i'm going to have to sell it..

what about heating oil? 20 second heating oil?

how much would that be?

CURLY

I run my 300tdi on a 50/50 mix of new veg oil and diesel without any bother. Just got to be careful in cold weather.

HMRC have no way of know way of knowing how much veg oil you use they have to take your word for it or prove otherwise.

New veg oil hasn't been that much cheaper than diesel lately but now that the price is going up again it's likely to become popular again.

You could always try used veg oil but you have to be very careful as to quality.

Heating oil is also illegal just like hydraulic oil

and can you just put the veg oil straight in the tank then? or do you need to mix it in a drum first, then put it in?

for example, could i half fill the tank with diesel, and then add the veg oil after?

and can you just put the veg oil straight in the tank then? or do you need to mix it in a drum first, then put it in?

for example, could i half fill the tank with diesel, and then add the veg oil after?

Crikey, is the search button broken again? :ph34r:

I think new Veg oil was about 78p per litre in Costco last time I looked, packed in 20l drums.

If you were doing a lot of miles it does offer a nice little saving...

I usually run on it in the summer, and have gone up to a 50:50 mix without any problems, but I generally don't go much above about 30:70 veg-diesel...

I have thought about a twin tank system but can't really be bothered with the agro for the little savings it would offer me..

not so long ago ASDA were knocking out veg oil for approx 50p per litre, if those days ever return i might think about a proper system again...