lorry air tank/tyre reseater

pinny

as the title says im looking at converting a lorry air tank into a tyre bead reseating tank i know i can buy the proper tank has any one made one the only thing ill have to buy is the 2 inch valve any views appreciated,chris.

i used one last week after trying to reseat a tyre on a rim you can fill it to whatever your compressor will produce normally 120psi i know some tyre ftters compressors will go to 150 but a lorry air tank is tested/plated to a test pressure oviously my welding wont be but i see no problem if i get a good weld if i buy the pressure relief valve the 2inch valve and a pcl coupling for filling i figure it will cost about 35 quid if i can get the tank for nowt. chris

When I did my HGV Fitters apprentiship many years ago we were told to never heat or weld a pressure vessel ,This seriously weakens the vessel , The jobs like this were always to fit replacements or as a last resort to be repaired by a coded welder .

If you want a quick blast of air to reinflate a stricken tyre and dont want to buy a Cheetah ,then use a gas or diving cylinder .

repairing a pressure vessel is fine providing;

it is done by a coded welder

it is re-pressure tested, and strength tested properly afterwards.

As a rule i'd say leave them alone, we do weld on pressure vessels at work but all work is done by a coded welder then tested using helium- and a helium detector. if this method is good enough for her Majestys submarines, i'm sure it would be OK for other areas.

Lorry tanks will be harder to work on as they are only thin metal...

One of the tool warehouse places (Northern tool or machine mart maybe ?) used to do one of these for around 40 quid, might be worth having a look around.

Personally I use a ratchet strap, never failed yet but will admit it's more fiddly than being able to blow the tyre back on but I work on the principal that if I use the same technique at home as I might have to do in a field in the middle of a competition then I'm better practiced at it and will find it easier when I'm against the clock.

Gigglepin fitted for me a lorry air tank as a reservoir. I have used this numerous times to reseat tyres. The compressor is under the driver seat with the air lines plumbed into the air tank. It has a cut off fitted to the pump like a normal compressor to cut the compressor off when filled to a set pressure. If you want I can take photo's and post them here. I will also post up what pressure the compressor is set to to cut out at.

I loved this one. Put far too much in then just in case go back and add some more :lol:

Shame we could not see the tyre afterwards.

Marc.

dont think they knew were it went either :lol::lol:

i'm sticking to foot pump an soap to reseat tires (fairy liquid works best) not valve in tire an just keep pumping, altho you need to have a sit down after it works :)

dave

If my memory serves me correctly, don't CO2 fire extinguishers have a schrader valve?

A google search - yes, many do.

Could it be as simple as flattening the trumpet, charging it with compressed air and using it as it comes?

i can see where your coming from and this has crossed my mind but i dont think you could get the volume of air through the half inch tube unless you could charge the cylinder to 3000 psi but ive thought of using a 9 litre foam extingiusher as a tank mounting a 2 inch valve on the side chris

farmer down the road from us, who does lorrying aswell has made one

all it consisted of was an old propane tank, cut and shut (be careful with that :P) and a couple of valves, he puts air in until the compressor srtuggles, probably 230psiish ? and open the valve into the tyre, which is an air tap welded to a tube that hasbeen flattened at the end.

I borrowed this to put one of my insa turbos onto its rim, as it was the last one and wouldnt go on, its very effective, even if it sometimes has to be aided withsilage wrap to create a better bead seal :huh:

mikey

old propane tank i thought of that but after a previous experience that idea is still scary im now looking at a 9 litre fire extinguisher there is a fire extinguisher dealer near me im going to see what thay have,chris