p38 mpg

fats_40

That's a difficult question unless you tell us what engine you have, what fuel you are running it on and what year...

Having said that that does seem a bit low even if it's a V8 petrol, unless you have a very heavy right foot or are running on LPG or are running a 4.6 GEMS engine. What do you get out of it on a motorway ?

• 2 weeks later...
That's a difficult question unless you tell us what engine you have, what fuel you are running it on and what year...

Having said that that does seem a bit low even if it's a V8 petrol, unless you have a very heavy right foot or are running on LPG or are running a 4.6 GEMS engine. What do you get out of it on a motorway ?

I run a P38 on a new 4.6 petrol gems with Tornado Chip. On combination town motorway Im getting a regular 18.5 in normal drive mode, top speed 70/75, average journey MPH around 45 (trip 180 miles ). If I reset the puter on the motorway I can get 22Mpg if I try hard not to go over 70.

I run a P38 on a new 4.6 petrol gems with Tornado Chip. On combination town motorway Im getting a regular 18.5 in normal drive mode, top speed 70/75, average journey MPH around 45 (trip 180 miles ). If I reset the puter on the motorway I can get 22mpg if I try hard not to go over 70.

When I first got my P38 the 4.6 Thor would do about 15 around town and about 20 on a decent motorway run. Having developed a blow on the drivers side manifold - and working at the time near Ryton - I had JE Engineering sort the front end by not only replacing the manifold but adding an ITG Air Filter and fitting low restriction cats on the front of the exhaust.

Now I generally get 16 to 17 mpg around town and north of 23 mpg on a motorway run. Resetting the pooter whilst travelling will give 26 mpg on a clear run even over 100 miles or so.

It ain't a cheap fix in total - but the ITG Airfilter upgrade is probably the main contributor to what is in effect a 15% improvement. That said JE won't make any promises on fuel as it is very engine specific - though they do quote a 10 bhp uplift for the airfilter mod!

Final figure that may be of interest is that I get about 12 to 13 when towing an Ifor Williams HB511 with two horses on board - this is up from about 10.5 pre modding!