Digital Mapping

Troll Hunter

Another great feature of GPSgate is the ability to emulate Garmin output so you can use your normal NMEA Bluetooth receiver to run Garmin apps like mapsource and Nroute on the PC. I am using this set-up in Morocco next week as the GPS topo and road maps are free download (Iceland is also available). I have plotted routes on Google earth, saved them as kmz files, and then converted them to Garmin format using GPS Visualiser.

If you clear your GE cache before you start plotting routes (tools-options) then after you have plotted any routes you can use the cache file with Google Earth when offline in the truck. In case, like me, you need to copy the cache from PC to laptop/car PC the cache file is found in C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\GoogleEarth. There is a realtime GPS function in GE but I haven't got that to work yet. If you zoom in and follow your route when online then all that detail is saved in the cache for offline use. Great for offroad navigation.

101sean,

Absolutely brill. Thanks for sharing it.

Having bid on Fleabay, unsuccessfully, for a couple of HP TC1100 - they went for what seems a lot of money - I'm going for a Walkabout Hammermead XRT, from these guys, in the states:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRS-HAMMERHEAD-XRT-W...p3286.m63.l1177

Although they say delivery to USA only, they're delivering to Canada for me ($15), and it's being hand carried from there.

When it's in :unsure: and working :) I'll post.

Mike

I am really pleased with my hammerhead, you seem to have got it for a good price. If you need drivers - this ebay seller does the proper drivers for the various versions.

Note the ad says you can use ubuntu, you can but they haven't really sorted a tablet version yet.

This is turning into a really useful thread. I love maps, even bought MM of New Zealand for a 5 week visit there. Quite often run Ozi with OSI maps just on running around the area cos I can!

I use a USB GPS mouse with the TB as that's what it came with. If I had to replace it I'd d the same despite lack of choice, loads of Bluetooth ones but not much USB or CF.

I know there are GPS forums out there but is there room for a sub forum here biased towards Land Rover set ups and the sort of resources we use whether locally or ranging far and wide?

I found on my 90 that I got poor GPS reception until I velcro'd the receiver to the sunroof.

My first usb mouse I had also on the roof but lost it during a roadbook trough a wood.

Now its on the bulkhead just behind me and signal is strong enough.

It's a Holux GR-213 Sirf-III