How would this work out?

Bjorn-Are

[On topic section]

I really don't like arches on Series. And I believe those will be huge tires! They'll look good, but remember what Snagger said.

[Off topic section]

Are those 1Ton wheels, on the last pic? Do you know if they have a better offset than the Mangels 16x7 8-spoke wheels?

And... will you sell the 1Ton wheels? ;)

Are those 1Ton wheels, on the last pic? Do you know if they have a better offset than the Mangels 16x7 8-spoke wheels?

And... will you sell the 1Ton wheels? ;)

They are 1-Ton wheels, and their off set is much less than a set of 7" 8-spokes or modulars, even when the 1-tons (or Wolf rims, for that matter) are fitted with 30mm spacers. 7" after market rims will put their outer tyre wall about 45mm further out than 1-ton rims.

So, the offset of the 1-Ton or Wolf rims are better mechanically and for handling, but worse aesthetically to most people.

Vass sell 1-Ton rims for £30 each and Wolf rims for £40.

They are 1-Ton wheels, and their off set is much less than a set of 7" 8-spokes or modulars, even when the 1-tons (or Wolf rims, for that matter) are fitted with 30mm spacers. 7" after market rims will put their outer tyre wall about 45mm further out than 1-ton rims.

So, the offset of the 1-Ton or Wolf rims are better mechanically and for handling, but worse aesthetically to most people.

Vass sell 1-Ton rims for £30 each and Wolf rims for £40.

Thanks for the information!

I have the white 8-spoke from Paddock, mainly because their price and because I have 7.50 tires on the SWB (and didn't want to adjust/change the lock stop). I was looking for Disco I wheels, but a used set of 5 is expensive, over here! It it were today, I believe I would go for the same black modulars as Bjorn-Are, or for 1-Ton wheels (I may be wrong, but by looking at different pictures of these wheels, it looks like some are "deeper" than others).

I see you're in the same area as Vass. Unfortunately, if I order a set of 5 wheels from them, the shipping cost alone (to Lisbon) will be higher than the 5 wheels! :angry:

Thanks for the information!

I have the white 8-spoke from Paddock, mainly because their price and because I have 7.50 tires on the SWB (and didn't want to adjust/change the lock stop). I was looking for Disco I wheels, but a used set of 5 is expensive, over here! It it were today, I believe I would go for the same black modulars as Bjorn-Are, or for 1-Ton wheels (I may be wrong, but by looking at different pictures of these wheels, it looks like some are "deeper" than others).

I see you're in the same area as Vass. Unfortunately, if I order a set of 5 wheels from them, the shipping cost alone (to Lisbon) will be higher than the 5 wheels! :angry:

You need to make an excuse to your family to do a trip for the big UK LR shows, stopping at Vass on the way home!

The 1-ton rims are wider than standard (6.5" if I recall correctly, as opposed to the standard 5" for 88s and 5.5 for 109s and Defenders).

• 2 weeks later...

235/85's on grey 7" mods, fitted to 1978 SIII 109.

13520045.jpg

Pic doesn't show it, but the tyres sat 'just' inside the arches by about 10mm or so. It was enough to 'fill' the arches for asthetics, without needing spats.

I didn't adjust the lock-stops, and in normal use didn't rub the chassis at the extreme of lock, though I did note a couple of rub-marks after some harder off-roading, using a lot of articulation.....

Steering was all new before I fitted them, so light and possitive, and I got away with a 14" metro steering wheel, though it did take a bit of force to lever the tiller round in the rough stuff - enough to make me think twice about anything wider.

Oh, and she's riding about 1 1/2" high at the front about 2" high at the back, curtecy of parabolics........ you may encounter rubbing earlier if on plain leafs.

• 3 weeks later...

Those look like standard 90/110 arches, and if so you'll have to cut your wings back quite heavily.

I have a coil sprung IIA and the extra track of the defender axles put the standard SWB rims just inside the body. I had a set of Mach5 rims made with a larger offset which meant I had to use arches. I chopped the wings back and then formed the inner lip to bolt the arches on. The problem is the front axle is offset forwards by comparison so the arch wasn't central. Also the rear position is controlled by the proximity of the fuel tank filler etc, and under axle articulation I ended up having to trim more of the plastic arch away. In the end I took them off and just use a very flexible clear rubber strip. Access under the front wings isn't a problem though ;)