Rear axle trailing arm brackets

Been rebushing my 90 200tdi and found that the welded on bracket on the rear axle which connects to the rear trailing arm is getting a bit rusted away.

Is it possible to get new brackets or do i need to make some ?

Is there any problem with welding to the axle tube ?

Do i weld the axle with it full / empty of oil ..

Ta

found these on ebay trialing arm bracket

Many thanks bud

2 on order .. bit more pricey than i thought but worth it to stop me leaving my axle behind

Any thoughts on welding these on?

I presume its best to empty the axle of oil but is that right ??

Also presume the heat from the weld will stay fairly local and not damage any seals ?

your going to be extremely busy doing these & making a short bell housing R380.

Ur not kidding .. And finishing rebushing.. and fitting new springs... and new shockers .. and changing the ratio in the transfer box when i get my new one.. the list goes on and on.

I'm just too fussy about my defender really.

Poor old girl is getting on a bit now and it just seems like everything is starting to go pear shaped together. Totally refuse to replace her with a newer one though cos it just wouldn't be the same :)

Totally refuse to replace her with a newer one though cos it just wouldn't be the same

I know that feeling, I'm not very keen on the raised bonnet or the Discovery dash or the Transit engine in the latest vehicles, rather drop a Td5 into mine one day in a far distant galaxy.

I know that feeling, I'm not very keen on the raised bonnet or the Discovery dash or the Transit engine in the latest vehicles, rather drop a Td5 into mine one day in a far distant galaxy.

I run on veggie with a twin tank setup (TD5 tank under the rear). This is because i tend to do long runs so it keeps my fuel bills well down. This of course means that a TD5 is out of the question for me. There are some things i do like about the new ones though.. like the new rear seats for the kids.. the TD5 speedo etc.. and the webasto engine preheater in the disco 3 .. So thats why i just bought em and fitted em into mine. ;) I'd like the steering wheel that u got but thats me just getting fussy.

I think when it comes down to it, its just my van. I've sweated blood making it the way it is and I get in it and it feels like an old friend. When i sit in a new one, it just feels like its got no soul. And with no soul i got noone to keep me company whilst i'm driving around.

Needless to say my mrs would prefer a new shiney one .. So i bought her a new S-max last week to keep the peace. Thats a lot a landie bits she owes me in exchange :P Hence the gearbox etc i'm doing now whilst i can get away with it.