detuning a 200tdi?

I fitted a 200tdi defender engine into my 90 and it blows whitish smoke when i accelerate. the previous owner has said that he had tuned it with a large intercooler, can anyone tell me how to take the settings back to standard?

colin

white smoke is also unburnt fuel, which could be down to the FIP being tweaked for a bigger intercooler/more power.

have a read of the tdi tuning thread in the tech archive, but you may need to know the pumps original setting before adjusting it back to standard, maybe easier to take the FIP off & have in bench tested/recalibrated to standard settings.

Usually overfuelling due to an overtweaked pump as you describe would produce black smoke not white...

White can be water, unburned diesel due to the pump timing being out, or sometimes if the engine is burning oil it can look white instead of the usual blue.

Have a sniff of the smoke and see if it has any particular smell.

i think the difference is that white "smoke" (i think its actually fuel vapour) is unburned fuel, usually caused by timing, but in the veg oil case is caused by the veg oil not atomising correctly and therefore not igniting, and just getting dumped down the exhaust.

Whereas black smoke is fuel that has burned, but has done so in an environment where the combustion didnt complete fully, due to their being too much fuel injected for the quantity of air thats present in the cylinder.

Sniffing the smoke might give you a better idea of whats going on, just be careful, you dont want a lung full, just enough for a whiff!

i think the difference is that white "smoke" (i think its actually fuel vapour) is unburned fuel, usually caused by timing, but in the veg oil case is caused by the veg oil not atomising correctly and therefore not igniting, and just getting dumped down the exhaust.

Whereas black smoke is fuel that has burned, but has done so in an environment where the combustion didnt complete fully, due to their being too much fuel injected for the quantity of air thats present in the cylinder.

Sniffing the smoke might give you a better idea of whats going on, just be careful, you dont want a lung full, just enough for a whiff!

Dead right. Old, worn out injectors give white smoke as well. Black smoke smells a bit like a traction engine!

Howard.