bad vibrations

Hi All,

Between 40 and 70 my defender has a horrible vibration,its worse on overrun, even with the clutch pressed.

I have checked the wheel bearings, not that much play, Also checked the props, no play there, any other suggestions!!??

Thanks in advance

Grant

Kidokes,

Checked the wheel, a line of weights was missing!!

Changed the wheel over with the spare, seems better, however when the engine is breaking there is still a groan coming up, sounds like from the back, this causes a reverb still, but the general shake is reduced alot!!

Looked at the props. they both seem very content under there with no real play at all!!

any more thoughts?

Thanks again

Grant

My 90 used to drive ok until i fitted a 2inch lift!! then had same sort of problem as you are having!!

Spoke with a few freinds who had lifted their's aswell & they had the same trouble?? turned out to be probshafts! even with new ones it still done it!!

contacted driveline & oredered some wide agle'd one's & all vibrations stopped as soon as they sere fitted!! Gave him the measurements from flange to flange wednesday afternoon & they were both delivered on Friday morning! They've been on now for about a year and still no trouble's!! hope this help's :D

if you want to ring them their number is 01524 382262 very helpful when they done mine & price was reasonable to!!

Hi Guys

the props don't look marked, as in the yokes don't look like they are hitting....

i will look in more detail when i can, however they looked fine!

Any other thoughts before i lose my mind?

Thanks

Ok, my props look fine, the front one is nearly new, so no play in it at all

one of the rears has a teeny weeny bit of play, but literally nothing!!

The shake, vibration, groaning only is bad on overrun from 70-55, its not constant it will be for a couple of seconds then it will disappear, if you give it a bit of throttle you can keep the noise going for a while!!

Any more thoughts?

Thanks

Grant

Hello mate

I had the same sort of vibration/ noise between 40-70 mph it would happen on the over run and like you if i touched the throttle i could make it last longer !!

After checking everything prop/uj's etc i reaslise that the diff bearing had a lot of play so i changed the diff and the noise has gone !

I have been told that like yourself a 2" lift puts many parts under extra stress and wear in diff bearing is quite a common fault.

Hope this helps

Chris

Hello mate

I had the same sort of vibration/ noise between 40-70 mph it would happen on the over run and like you if i touched the throttle i could make it last longer !!

After checking everything prop/uj's etc i reaslise that the diff bearing had a lot of play so i changed the diff and the noise has gone !

I have been told that like yourself a 2" lift puts many parts under extra stress and wear in diff bearing is quite a common fault.

Hope this helps

Chris

Hi Chris,

I admit, i had a similar issue with my 90 (didnt really think it could be the same!!), until i went in some more water and the diff bearing disintigrated!!

spat the ball bearings into the diff gearing as I was just coming out the other side of a ford, and destroyed all the teeth :D

I was wondering if it was that, however it sounds plausible!

was it your front or rear diff?? ( mine seems to come from the rear more so...)

I have a Salisbury rear axle, are they all the same splineage? whether there drum or disk

Hi Mate

Mine was the rear diff its a standard axle and diff, it was strange because the diff only had a very small amount of play in the bearing and to be honest i thought there was no chance a small amount of play could cause all that vibration and noise !!!

But it did i replaced the diff (second hand one ) and the noise has totally gone now !!!

Chris

lovely, thanks!!

Now, since I am suspicious of the rear diff, I need some advice on the rear diff!!

Its a Salisbury, and the problem is, i've heard, and seen that to remove the Salisbury diff, you need a diff spreader!(????) According to the workshop manuals that is...

Can anyone shed some light on how to change a Salisbury diff???

Looked in the tech archives, and had no luck!!

Thanks

Grant

hi grant,if you have a problem with a salisbury it is not a 5 minute job to pull out and check,they also are a bit of a pain to set up on reassembley.how is the hybrid coming along?

LOL :lol: slowly!!!

Ive driven it, and im going to do more work and get some piccis up this weekend, been away for a month!! I promise i will this weekend though, including the pictures of your handy work with the wheel wells!!

Back to the diff though, could the noise, be coming from the prop, cos i never thought props made noise when they went, when my front one went, i heard nothing till it went bang!! :lol:

Thanks again ( cheers Chris!!)