two pumps then she wants to stop

can anyone help me sort my braking problem i have to pump the pedal twice before i get a good firm pedal then it slowly creeps back to half way with not much braking power but it pulls up fine with a couple of pumps the truck is a 89 90 2.5td with a 200tdi implant . no visible leaks on either axle nor loss of fluid from resovoir vac pumps got plenty of suck to it

any ideas????????

two pumps then she wants to stop

My Mrs. is a bit like that too ;)

Have you checked the front wheel bearings (assuming you have a drum on the back) for play, if these are loose the wheel wobble can push the pads back so that when you brake they have to be pushed back to the disc, needing a couple of pumps of the pedal before the brakes are effective.

HTH

Mo

can anyone help me sort my braking problem i have to pump the pedal twice before i get a good firm pedal then it slowly creeps back to half way with not much braking power but it pulls up fine with a couple of pumps the truck is a 89 90 2.5td with a 200tdi implant . no visible leaks on either axle nor loss of fluid from resovoir vac pumps got plenty of suck to it

any ideas????????

common problem is the wheel bearings witch push the pads back so you have to push the peddle twice to take up the difference

My Mrs. is a bit like that too ;)

Have you checked the front wheel bearings (assuming you have a drum on the back) for play, if these are loose the wheel wobble can push the pads back so that when you brake they have to be pushed back to the disc, needing a couple of pumps of the pedal before the brakes are effective.

HTH

Mo

lol the wheel bearings seem fine i fitted new suspension over the weekend and i checked over the pads and shoes while i had the wheels off and all had plenty of meat left with no visible play with the wheels on its the pedal creeping away that has me puzzled

22lr90,

Then my next step would be to change the master cylinder as it sounds like fluid is getting by the internal seals.

Mo

is that the thingy what the resovoir sits on top of ?? is this why the pedal creeps but no fluid loss??

is that the thingy what the resovoir sits on top of ??

With the greatest of respect, and not wishing to upset anyone; if you needed to ask that question then you should get someone who knows what he is doing to help you do this job - or even to do it for you. It is safety critical and getting it wrong can get you onto BIG trouble in any number of ways.

Chris

With the greatest of respect, and not wishing to upset anyone; if you needed to ask that question then you should get someone who knows what he is doing to help you do this job - or even to do it for you. It is safety critical and getting it wrong can get you onto BIG trouble in any number of ways.

I have to second that- getting advice off the internet is all well and good but having an idea of the very basics is a pre- requisite.