Hydraulic Winch Options

interesting to see the Bowyer hydraulic thing - looks like a type R in all by name, expecially amusing as the grumpy pigmy kicked off big time a couple of years ago at the mere mention of the H word :hysterical:

Im not sure how one drum differs in bunching characteristics to another drum winch, I'm a bit slow - I think I'd need drawings to understand that one :huh:

interesting to see the Bowyer hydraulic thing - looks like a type R in all by name, expecially amusing as the grumpy pigmy kicked off big time a couple of years ago at the mere mention of the H word :hysterical:

Im not sure how one drum differs in bunching characteristics to another drum winch, I'm a bit slow - I think I'd need drawings to understand that one :huh:

It is more about the tie bars being riped out than the drums, As we know they all bunch, just that you dont need to worry too much if it has more room to bunch in,

well sort of but you get my point :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Carl.

the pigmy sulks every time some one tries to join his party,for years he told the world the x9 was the best in the world,but then he had to go and make it better!

Hello,

The Saley winch formally known as the Stud 150 (no more as stud 150 is somthing else, google it :rolleyes: )

is extreamly well priced when you compare it to others

Winch with standard hole pattern 10" x 4 1/2" or plus 2" 12" x 4 1/2" c/w with motor £1600

Regards John

I am new to hydro winches only ever used electric ones,

If i was to go for somthing like saleys winch what else would i have to get to run it.

If i was to spend that much on a winch i might as well have it working as well as it could!

Thanks

You'd need pretty much everything :-)

If you want it to be as good as it can be you'd want a PTO driven high capacity pump, a good sized reservoir, a spool valve and if you wanted to have cab control a morse lever too and finally all the pipe work. Perhaps 2" from the reservoir to the pump and 1 1/2" for the rest of the system.

I am new to hydro winches only ever used electric ones,

If i was to go for somthing like saleys winch what else would i have to get to run it.

If i was to spend that much on a winch i might as well have it working as well as it could!

Thanks

Hi,

you have several options, P.T.O Driven, Direct of the crank via a adapter and mini prop or a chain driven pump, Best using a dog cluch so pump can be disengaged when not needed, spool valves with solonoids on so you can have control outside the car, pipes are no big issue, easy made by a local hydraulic firm, tank, Remember only 1 pump set-up for 2 winchs (not used at same time) so if you compare to an equvelant spec winch on the market this is very good value for money, if you buy one off john he will advise/supply all the bits you need,

Carl.

In all fairness the free spool (which can be operated in cab) on the Saley winch and it's sealed roller bearing drum a 2 year old could comfortably pull rope off, it's absolutely effortless and a real joy, and I know he's ran his front winch all last year in comp's to see how good they really are and it was perfect and dry as well.

It's a very good bit of kit, I'm just saving up, tyres next then Saley winches.

He bitched for me Sunday and did nothing but moan about slow 8274's, then about overrun, then about spooling out back knotting, in fact he moaned all day.

In all fairness the free spool (which can be operated in cab) on the Saley winch and it's sealed roller bearing drum a 2 year old could comfortably pull rope off, it's absolutely effortless and a real joy, and I know he's ran his front winch all last year in comp's to see how good they really are and it was perfect and dry as well.

It's a very good bit of kit, I'm just saving up, tyres next then Saley winches.

He bitched for me Sunday and did nothing but moan about slow 8274's, then about overrun, then about spooling out back knotting, in fact he moaned all day.

A moan here and a groan there, Thats just john for ya :P:P

Carl.

Sorry, what I meant to say was that Saley ran his front winch completely dry with no oil whatsoever in it all last year as another test of it's ruggedness, with no ill effects at all.

It must be tough Alan Kemp's not broke one. :D

I can operate both at the same time, mildly more funky valve but it saves extra piping and has a built in prv :)

We can operate both at the same time with twin bank spool valve and built in prv, manual inside cab for control with solenoids so can use outside.

As for pipe work you need 3/4" single from tank to filter to pump then 1/2" double for the rest, exept the guage 1/4" will do for that.

• 4 weeks later...

hi

I wish i had known about these saley winches 12 months ago, before i bought two type r milemarker winches........ they're okay and thats about it. what really piddles me off is i can't engage hi gear or free spool without being ontop winch!! Wondered if anyone knew of a system or parts to do it with! Is there a website for these saley winches cuz i might be tempted to buy two of them instead of these darn type r's!!

Mike