GLASS membership

DrRob

Thinking of joining GLASS to support our rights for rights of way!

What are the main benefits?

What mapping info does it allow access to? Trailwise? How much more detail is in there compared to County Council websites and OS / Multimap detailing?

Cheers

Rob

If you are joining for info, you won't see value for money. Better to join a local LR club and gain info and join in on laning days out with them. Better still join a Glass affiliated LR club and get access to Glass info that way.

Cheers

Steve

Thinking of joining GLASS to support our rights for rights of way!

What are the main benefits?

What mapping info does it allow access to? Trailwise? How much more detail is in there compared to County Council websites and OS / Multimap detailing?

Cheers

Rob

Yes, GLASS gives you full access to Trailwise, although you do have to apply for Trailwise after you have joined GLASS. This is a once only hurdle.

Do you realise you can access Trailwise as a non-member and get some information out?

Mapping to non-members is Streetmap and Google maps.

The 'extra' detail depends on what users of the lane have added.

So it can be as useful or as useless as information you get on Forums. It depends who wrote last. There is no Trailwise equivalent of the Google Streetview camera cars. Would that there was a way of making enough money to support such an activity.

Note that Trailwise lists routes people identify, so it's perfectly valid for a lane to be listed that is illegal to drive along. This isn't daft, it's wise, considering the current Section 59 'two strikes and your car is scrapped' situation.

To test it against somewhere you know already, or against somewhere 'new' you are interested in, go to http://www.trailwise.org.uk/

From the LH menu click Search/View (or Browse maps, but I'm using SV for this example).

Type a place name (that you think has lanes near it) and click enter. **

If there are multiple options the next screen allows you to define which one you want, then the next screen gives you lanes within 3km of the place you named. This is the Text layout.

If at ** you didn't just click enter, but clicked the Map Results button, a new Google Maps window opens with all lanes in a 5km radius of your named place.

If at ** you entered a distance greater than 5km the Text or Map results defaults to 5km radius.

Members can set a larger radius.

Personally I joined GLASS for the reason you set out, "to support our rights for rights of way". I felt I wouldn't be spending a lot of time being active, so I'd contribute what I could, which is a small amount of money per year.

The extent of actions in 'your' area depend on the people involved.

In Derbyshire Peaks there seems to be a lot of close liaison at the discussion level, less at the road repair level, because the local authority is strongly resistant to volunteer labour.

GLASS people will be invited to attend with the Police both on 'Driver Education' outings (there was one this weekend), and at local Council meetings, where GLASS and TRF will be present.

Hampshire may be different.

HTH