smaller steering wheel

hi all

i am thinking of getting rid of the original steering wheel and putting in something smaller, nothing fancy just a bit smaller, as a little extra room would be appreciated :D oj

has anyone done this already? or anyone shedding some light on this would be a great help..i have seen a steering boss kit on fleabay and wondered if anyone has had problems with these kits or fitting problems with steering trim, etc?

i have added a picture of the boss also

cheers guys

ben

post-15189-1240841692_thumb.jpg

Need to be a bit careful with some of these after-market steering wheel bosses, they're not always a very good fit on the splines. I had one on mine a while ago and it came loose while driving :blush: fortunately I was only doing a 3 point turn at the time, but could have had bad consequenses.

Gone back to the original one now, it's a bit big and daft but at least it fits properly!

cheers western some decent ideas there.

crwoody- what brand was yours then, dont really fancy the wheel coming loose while driving lol

looks like momo is a decent fit from what i read in the link

Lots of info here and also some offerings of possible wheels. May consider one myself, but haven;t checked out the competition and other prices yet...

http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/moto_lita_steering_wheel.shtml

... crwoody- what brand was yours then, dont really fancy the wheel coming loose while driving lol ....

Mine was a "Mountney M range" wheel. In fairness, I had it on there for a couple of years or so before it came loose and it was better to use than the original one in terms of elbow room. I'm not even 100% sure it was actually the correct centre boss for the application, I believe there are several different versions of the Defender steering column, I'm sure someone far more knowlegeable will be along soon to confirm (or deny) this.

• 3 weeks later...
Need to be a bit careful with some of these after-market steering wheel bosses, they're not always a very good fit on the splines. I had one on mine a while ago and it came loose while driving :blush: fortunately I was only doing a 3 point turn at the time, but could have had bad consequenses.

Gone back to the original one now, it's a bit big and daft but at least it fits properly!

Ouch, I think cutting for an extra woodruff key might be in order then.

Ouch, I think cutting for an extra woodruff key might be in order then.

There are no keyways machined on the column or boss, just a short tapered section then a splined bit (about 12-15mm dia IIRC) and then a big nut on the end to keep it in place.