Any ideas

OldShep56

Wifey phoned today. She had been out in her '52 TD4 diesel automatic.

She described something along the lines off clutch slip. Not good thought I.

So when I got home tonight, I took it for a drive. We have some large hills around here so I got it on a few hills but nothing happened.

We were meandering home with no pressure on the throttle when it happened!! It was not 'clutch slip' as described by wifey but more off 'slipping into neutral'.

It was doing 2000 rpm when I suddenly heard the engine note increase and the revs shot up to 3000 with no increase in speed. As soon as I lifted my foot, the revs dropped and it was back in gear. It would seem this has happened about 3 times over the winter ............ any clues please, guys??

It was doing 2000 rpm when I suddenly heard the engine note increase and the revs shot up to 3000 with no increase in speed. As soon as I lifted my foot, the revs dropped and it was back in gear. It would seem this has happened about 3 times over the winter ............ any clues please, guys??

If the engine speed increased on its own then it could be electronic.

I'm not sure how the torque convertors work in the freelander, anyone?

• 1 month later...
If the engine speed increased on its own then it could be electronic.

I'm not sure how the torque convertors work in the freelander, anyone?

I'm no expert but had the same problems in a 2002 td4 with 70k miles from 4th to 5th gear and lower when going up hills , for me is was a recon gearbox.Is it due for an oil change and don't know fully whether an oil change would help at this stage, if the damage isn't already done.

as i say i am no expert so don't want to be the bearer of bad news just my experience.

Nelly

I'm no expert but had the same problems in a 2002 td4 with 70k miles from 4th to 5th gear and lower when going up hills , for me is was a recon gearbox.Is it due for an oil change and don't know fully whether an oil change would help at this stage, if the damage isn't already done.

as i say i am no expert so don't want to be the bearer of bad news just my experience.

Nelly

I have been told by the little garage that it 'is a major problem' but no way was I going to be turned over by a French dealer hence having it returned to England.

As an aside, if anyone ever travels to Europe with their LR, then I would recommend the AA cover big time. They have been brilliant!!! Within 20 minutes of phoning their Euro HQ in Lyon, the tow truck arrived and took us to the garage. Fifteen minutes later and a taxi picked us up and took us along with all our luggage to Europcar where we were given a brand new hire car. Kept us fully informed since as to the state of play although we have had to change cars for one that is allowed to leave the country to enable us to get home. Has not cost us a penny YET. That will come when the car is repaired lol

I have been told by the little garage that it 'is a major problem' but no way was I going to be turned over by a French dealer hence having it returned to England.

As an aside, if anyone ever travels to Europe with their LR, then I would recommend the AA cover big time. They have been brilliant!!! Within 20 minutes of phoning their Euro HQ in Lyon, the tow truck arrived and took us to the garage. Fifteen minutes later and a taxi picked us up and took us along with all our luggage to Europcar where we were given a brand new hire car. Kept us fully informed since as to the state of play although we have had to change cars for one that is allowed to leave the country to enable us to get home. Has not cost us a penny YET. That will come when the car is repaired lol

Just returned from Rennes in my Freelander and opted for AA euro cover. Thankfully I didn't need it. Good luck with your repair.