throttle problem

jamesbond

hi all i have a 95 disco 300tdi auto with a throttle problem witch is when on full throttle it gets to about 40-50 then starts to stutter then go's again then stutters then go's again its just like your running out of fuel if you back of the throttle then it gos ok up to about 70 then it starts again if your on a steep hill its worse ie happens at lower speeds i'v have a new fuel filtter new lift pump and the sediment bowl has been empited has anyone got a clue as i'm well fedup thanks

any smoke? horrible noises from engine? is the power loss smooth (like you have just eased off the throttle) or jerky/shunting?

you have looked at the obvious things though, I would have said fuel starvation... blocked filter etc

Lift up the boot carpet and remove the fuel sender inspection plate. I daresay you'll have to forcibly remove some of the screws (drill or chisel).

Take a look at the metal pipes on top of the fuel sender, they may have corroded causing the lift-pump to suck air instead of diesel. Try coating in vaseline, firstly. If this improves driveability replace the sender unit.

My throttle prob is getting worse now a get the engine check light come on only now and again and for a very short time i.e. 1-2 seconds have now been told it my the throttle position sensor quoted nearly £400 for a new one any more ideas thanks

The electronic diesel control (EDC) engines fitted to many 300 autos will have a TPS as the pump is electronically controlled. I don't know a lot about them as they never came here but I have seen a couple of ex UK ones. They go better but also give more bother. A bit like anything more complicated...