RR front axle conversion

On fitting a '93 (I think) RRC axle to my 90, the trackrod from my 90 being fitted forced the tracking to go toe-in very severely due to the length of the rod, even with the TREs wound in as far as they would go to shorten its length as much as possible it was still toeing-in. I don't know if I should have asked this in the RR section, so apologies, but is the track rod on a RR shorter than that on a Defender? Has anyone else had this problem? What would be the correct part to fit?

Looking at Micrcat.

the Defender rod is NRC9742

the RR ['92 to '94] is RTC1799 this is a 2 piece rod rather than the one tube on a 90/110.

maybe you need the RR tube or the swivel to rod/TRE is different to the 90/110 items.

On fitting a '93 (I think) RRC axle to my 90, the trackrod from my 90 being fitted forced the tracking to go toe-in very severely due to the length of the rod, even with the TREs wound in as far as they would go to shorten its length as much as possible it was still toeing-in. I don't know if I should have asked this in the RR section, so apologies, but is the track rod on a RR shorter than that on a Defender? Has anyone else had this problem? What would be the correct part to fit?

Not much help I'm afraid but I'm running a Defender track rod on RR axles on two vehicles without any problems. One of the RRC axles is imperial, the other is metric. There shouldn't be a difference in overall length between them albeit that RRC and Disco versions have the steering damper on the track rod so have to have a short adjuster section at one end.

How old is the 90, it didn't have one of the odd ball axles on it or something ?

just a thaught, isnt there a difference between the RRC and 90 in terms of where the track rod and drag link attach to? Or is it some other part of the steering gear thats different?

I'm sure i've heard of people converting to the "90 setup" when building hybrids using rrc running gear?

Erm

Not sure I understand the issue here 100% and I'm knackered to but..........

RR

Has a solid front steering arm, and a 2 piece rear track control arm with the shocker on it

LR

Has a steering arm with a S unit on it so shock is now on the front, there are differing types,

use the one from your 90, and the rear arm again use the 90 one which is one piece.

I have a factory V8 90 and have a RR F&R axles and use 90 arms on the front

HTH, prob won't but I am well knackered so thought I would add the above in the vain hope it may help :lol:

Nige

There are two different setups for the track rod. The main difference is that Discoveries and RRC have the steering damper mounted to the track rod and the diff so to adjust it without destroying/disconnecting the damper they made a two part track rod with a short section at one end that is used to adjust the overall length. The RRC track rod (complete wiith adjustable section) should be the same length as the 90 track rod that doesn't have the adjustable section.

There are two different lengths of drag link (one length for the swan neck end as fitted to most RRC/90/110 and another for the TRE joint as used on 300 Discos).

It's a mystery, perhaps it would be worth posting a pic of it in case there's something odd about the axle or the bar. Have you checked the axle tube is true/straight ?

Thanks for the replies, I think I've seen the steering damper mounted on an RRC before now it's been mentioned. I'm currently not where my vehicle is so won't be able to measure it for some time but I will post up the length when I can. What's the length of a standard 90 track rod?

The rod itself was bent slightly, but surely that would shorten the distance between the wheels if anything and create toe-out?